View Poll Results: apple mac book pro or an imac ?
apple mac book pro 6 85.71%
apple imac 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 09-04-2007 , 04:41 PM
yeah so cliche.. someone asks you something about macs and it instantly turns into a "Mac sucks olol no mac rules omgz PC are better no no Linux" thing.

well from those 2 systems MacBook Pro would run it better.
but as you said, if the iMac and the MacBook would have had similar spec probably the iMac would perform better, haven't tried though.
also I'm using a Mac Book Pro as well (not the one you have written but the 15" one and I don't have any problems with Maya. well I haven't been using Maya for a long time but noone I know that uses a Mac to run Maya experiences problems.)

and well would it be more stable on a PC or a Mac? for instance I have both a desktop PC and a MacBook Pro. and I only have Maya on the laptop. because I didn't see any need to have it on PC as well since it performs pretty fine on the Mac.

@gster
MacBook Pro is the laptop and iMac is the desktop so no.

@ dave
Man was that post meant to be sarcastic? I hope it was.
when I first bought a Mac (had used PC for a long time wasnt used to Macs at all) it took me approximately 2 days to get used to closing programs (not minimizing) by using either apple&Q or using the dock.

@Neostrider
What are you talking about ? You can force quit programs just like on a PC, either from the dock or from the apple menu-> force quit.

These comments seem to me as if they are coming from people that don't actually have a lot of experience with Macs.

and stickyhead, if your main purpose will be using Maya perhaps you could consider a Linux. but if not a Mac would work just fine

# 17 09-04-2007 , 07:03 PM
NeoStrider > 'I actually felt lucky because the maya labs at school were all actually SGI computers running off of unix... which was still really annoying...'

WOW! You got to use SGIs!!! What model? O2, Octane, Fuel or Tezro??? And may I ask what is so annoying about IRIX? (UNIX)

# 18 09-04-2007 , 08:21 PM
yazmataz: No, I wasn't being sarcastic at all. With the two choices, I'd go PC all the way! My PC NEVER crashed a program (of course, I built it user added image ). The MacG5's at school crash daily.

Neostrider: I too started on the SGI. We had the little blue 02's. Never had too many problems with them except the optical drives they used. They would crash constantly, and if it did, it would render the disk useless. At $100 a pop, we weren't very happy about that. I had to buy 3 of them!

After the 02's they bought the SGI-NT units that ran Windows NT. Those were a little more user friendly since we didn't have to learn UNIX scripting. blech!

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 19 09-04-2007 , 08:53 PM
well I had asked whether or not you were being sarcastic with the things you had written about closing/minimizing programs.

everyone has their own choices when it comes to choosing a platform. I wouldn't choose a PC over a Mac but I'm not against PCs and am using one as well (though I have used it on very rare occasions after buying a Mac).

Don't understand why so many people are so prejudiced against other OSs. this also includes Mac users.

# 20 09-04-2007 , 11:42 PM
yazmataz: No, I wasn't being sarcastic about that either. I hate that the little X button doesn't mean close like it does in Windows. Why is it there then? What is it's purpose if not to close a program like it should be? Why do you have to use Command+Alt+Cntrl+Shft+Q+10 other keys, BUT ONLY WITH YOUR LEFT HAND! to close something?

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 21 10-04-2007 , 12:41 PM
well actually not all programs are like that. only some "general Mac programs" like iTunes, Pages, Safari etc. So well, the X command is actually used in other programs, that's why its there.
For example I'm using MFirefox and its closed by the little X thing and Maya's like that too and most other programs. though now I'm more comfortable with the apple Q command so I'm using that all the time anyway user added image
well after a couple days of using mac you get used to the 2 key combination (apple Q) or quitting by mouse anyway. thats what i was tryina say
but i get that if you don't use macs often it can get annoying since youre used to the windows/whatever system

oh and there might be some way to assign the X button the command Quit somehow but I'm not bothered by it so I don't really care