Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 15-10-2007 , 12:48 AM

Another Maya noob (image plane size help)

Hello Im new to maya, love it, was using lightwave before but anyway heres my problem.
My problem conserns importing image planes. I would import the top and side without problems but the front view imported much larger. I found that the view>import would import the image to the same size as the viewport , thus making the front view larger because the front view is a square and the side and top are rectangles - hope you all know what I mean.

So my question is this, how can I import the images to their actual/default size. All my images are properly scaled my maya always imports the front image larger no matter what.

Iv attached a pic that hopefully explains what I mean a bit better.

cheers
steve

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 15-10-2007 , 01:35 AM
# 3 15-10-2007 , 02:57 AM
Hi this is helpful but I had already started modeling and was modeling the back, switching the front plain image for the back one. But this will be useful for the next model I make. Is there anyway to import image without maya resizing them.
Cheers
steve

# 4 15-10-2007 , 04:33 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Maya resizes the images in a ratio over resolution kind of way. Its best to resize your images to a resonable size in PS first at 72dpi. Make sure that the files all match up on their appropriate planes. Use the PS layers forthis so you can adjust opacity to see the sizes match up

Once you load an image plane you can also manaully adjust the settings in the image plane attributes, height and width settings. Also you can move them in X, Y or Z. Its no big deal, my 10 year old daughter can do it.:bandit:

Jay

# 5 15-10-2007 , 05:13 AM
I've used import image plane a few times but since I haven't done much experimenting with that I just create a poly plane to match the pictures resolution. For example, if a picture has a 640x480 resolution then I'll create a poly plane that is either 6.4 x 4.8 or one that is 64 x 48, or even 32 x 24 (anything with the same ratio) Then, after I attach the picture, I do a planner map to make sure it's not stretched or anything. Works really great for me. I put each poly plane on a different layer so I can turn them on and off individually.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 6 15-10-2007 , 05:18 AM
Oh yea, if I want the image planes to match real world sizes, then after I create all my image planes, I group them all together. If the pictures are of a person that is 5 feet 11 inches tall, then I'll create a cube that is 5'11" tall and then I'll use the scale tool to enlarge my image planes (grouped) according to the cube.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!