Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 08-09-2008 , 08:07 AM

texturing a piston

i am trying to stick a label onto the top of a piston, but i cannot get it to go there. instead, it is wrapped around the outside of the piston, and i do not know how to change it so that it is only on the flat top bit. i know this is simple but iv been through all the help in maya and plenty of sites but im stuck.

regards

phil

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 08-09-2008 , 08:40 AM
What you need to do is map the UVs (run a search on UV mapping). Then you take a UV snapshot, take it into PS or Gimp or whatever you may be using, position the label on top of the place you want it to go and take the image back to Maya(set it as the color map.
if you haven't understood something don't be afraid to ask.

BTW, someone has got to place a sticky on texturing as it is becoming pretty frequently asked...
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 3 08-09-2008 , 08:45 AM
thanks for your advice, the piston is modelled by revolving a curve, i thought I could just apply the texture as if it were a sticker by standard 2D texture placement, there is a tutorial in the official maya help file about placing a label on an orange, im sure you know the one, but that still doesn't help me.

I have tried placing the file as a projection, and this allows me to get it in the right place, but then the colours run all the way through the piston and down the sides.

I have a quick fix at the minute, that is to create a circular texture with a metal-grey colour around the outside, so i can shrink the projection so only the grey bleeds down the edges, simulating the metal. But what I need is to be able to apply a metal shader to the piston and then apply the sticker on top.

# 4 08-09-2008 , 09:16 AM
You can create that with some more advanced texturing:
Make a phong/blin material with reflection, specular, bump and color maps... this should be satisfactory.
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 5 08-09-2008 , 09:35 AM

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."