Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 31 20-11-2008 , 09:12 PM
Subscriber
Another beautiful afternoon!! I have been working at the Dashboard for a couple of days and have it at least looking like a dashboard. :-) It is fun and I am enjoying it. Just at times like building a house of cards and think it all will fall down.

Next we move on to the steering column.

Attached Thumbnails

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 32 21-11-2008 , 05:03 AM
That looks amazing so far! keep it up :bow:
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 33 21-11-2008 , 11:55 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Benny!! I am glad that you like it! That is my first dashboard, as will be all of the interior. Always wanted to learn how to do it.

Thanks again Benny, and have a good day!!!

Challenge me and I will try. Because If I should fail, failure also has a prize (Knowledge).
# 34 22-11-2008 , 11:21 PM
Subscriber
Evening everyone! I am posting an update on my progress. But also to point out a problem I get when I start with a Primitive and model from it. I am sure it is just my video card or something. But we did the steering column yesterday and on the steering wheel he started with a Primitive. And I get the color distortion where all of the edges get a black, or dark, shading to it. On the steering wheel you can notice that. But if I use the Create Polygon Tool and use the snap to create my own polygon using the Primitive as a template to snap to, then I have not a problem with the shading. Even as tighly as I have my border edges at times. I am going to do the steering wheel over again. Both for the color distortion (which will not show up in a render, just bothers me to see it in the work space like that), and also how the wheel turned out. Hopefully better next try..

We have gotten a start on the center console and it will eventually tie in to the dashboard.

Have a nice evening everyone!!

Attached Thumbnails

# 35 22-11-2008 , 11:23 PM
Subscriber
Start of Console

(Sorry for the larger pic earlier, thought I had sized it)

Attached Thumbnails

# 36 23-11-2008 , 12:43 AM
hey hippie tom - this is looking sweet - very nice job so far. user added image

# 37 23-11-2008 , 01:18 AM
Subscriber
Arran, thank you very much!! I appreciate your comments as I have known you for awhile.Sometimes I think I in am way over my head with this. Have you heard of Cheech and Chong anymore, as I haven't. Do have a good evening Aaron, and thanks once again!

# 38 23-11-2008 , 10:42 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
This is really looking sweet! The dash is hot!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 39 23-11-2008 , 11:43 PM
hey oldhippie_tom - nah - haven't heard anything for a while - i guess they dropped out again. user added image

judging by this you are definitely not in over your head - you're doing a great job mate and this is going to look very cool. those shots of the body are very nice.

this car has got to be yellow! user added image

# 40 24-11-2008 , 12:37 AM
Subscriber
Mayaniac and Arran, you are both very kind! I do appreciate it so very much!

Mayaniac, yes I like how the dash came out myself. I look at it and would have bet I could have done it. But I think the A/C Vents help alot. They were a trick I will keep in my Box of Tricks!

Arran, in regards to Cheech and Chong. I think they should just relax and enjoy the time that the years have afforded them! Maybe take up Maya and do some car modeling after they relax!! ;-) Who knows the may enjoy it!!! But Arran, when I start each new phase of this I surely don't feel up to the task. But I pay attention and use my head, and some of the tricks I have learned. He uses all creasing, and I never use that. I find if you are going to Sub-D it causes problems.I may be mistaken about that, but what I have found. So I have to improvise alot. But doing an Interior, not to mention the engine, is something I had always hoped to do. You say it should be yellow? Well I do agree with you 100%. But my girlfriend hates yellow. We will see!!! ;-)

I got the Steering Wheel taken care of and got more done on the Console. Starting to tie it to the dash now. May have some reworking to do in that phase.

I raise my glass of wine and toast all of you a very fine evening and Thanksgiving!!!

Attached Thumbnails

# 41 24-11-2008 , 01:08 AM
Acid44
looks great man, steering wheel looks really dinky to me though :S

@arran - never! lime green with deep purple wheels ^_^

# 42 24-11-2008 , 01:09 AM
Super Moderator
Screw the yellow, hot PINK with diamond encrusted doorhandles, rims and cupholder!! :p lol. This is shaping very very well, grats. Thanksgiving this year is going to blow as I'm moving, fun fun. Happy turkey day.

- Genny
# 43 24-11-2008 , 03:41 AM
Acid44
I WOULD SO DRIVE THAT!!!!

when is thanksgiving stateside? it's already passed for us up here in the arctic country ^_^

# 44 24-11-2008 , 06:29 PM
Subscriber
american turkey day is today. Black friday tomorrow. Get with the program acid. and yeah our thanksgiving was a warm one lol.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 45 24-11-2008 , 06:43 PM
Acid44
hmm, i didnt know that :S but im young, gimme a break :p