Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 25-05-2009 , 06:39 AM

What do you guys think about... Bryce?

Just wondering here, what do you, whom have experience of it, think about Bryce?

It is a pretty amazing program that has some very nice features, but it demands some, acceptance to truly appreaciate. I never been a fond user of it but I appreaciated the fine points of this very unique program.

Thoughts? Any bashing? Some nice hateful memories? user added image

# 2 25-05-2009 , 09:00 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
yeah bryce is a good little bit of software. I remember using it at v2 and I bought v4 for some freelance work - it paid for itself in one job. Its only quirks for me really was the importing of other objects as there were issues with materials etc.

Otherwise its a good way to go for matte painting, exporting terrain objects etc and its very useful for creating 360 degree panaoramic skies

J

# 3 26-05-2009 , 07:27 AM
Its a nice app...

My first experience with 3D was with Bryce 4. It was very easy to get results. It was designed for terrain though, so it was limited with modelling and similar. At least booleans worked (I'm looking at you Maya), and if one tries, one can get some decent results with cubes, spheres, tori, pyramid and cones (the user's manual had examples of a tower and the Pharos? lighthouse, at least in V4).

Its probaly used for hobbies, there are plenty of renders made with Bryce on the Internet.

And as Jay said, its good for creating panoramas of skies (Quicktime VR I believe it output to) I really liked making skies... I made hundreds of them... :p

So much fun!

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 4 26-05-2009 , 12:56 PM
The Maya Mountain
Bryce was my first foray into 3D as well and I had a lot of fun with it. It was very limited, but I didn't know that at the time. user added image

# 5 26-05-2009 , 09:54 PM

Originally posted by The Architect
Its a nice app...

My first experience with 3D was with Bryce 4. It was very easy to get results. It was designed for terrain though, so it was limited with modelling and similar. At least booleans worked (I'm looking at you Maya), and if one tries, one can get some decent results with cubes, spheres, tori, pyramid and cones (the user's manual had examples of a tower and the Pharos? lighthouse, at least in V4).

Its probaly used for hobbies, there are plenty of renders made with Bryce on the Internet.

And as Jay said, its good for creating panoramas of skies (Quicktime VR I believe it output to) I really liked making skies... I made hundreds of them... :p

So much fun!

You can actually do do anything if you put the energy into it. Characters, Houses etc but you need to use the, the thingy I forgot the name on, and load up a 'texture' or something to 'follow' for the.. erh.. Thingy.. And there you go.

Argh, the thingy you know, you load up for the mountainrange the FORMS the thingy they follow, anyway you load up something else to follow, lets say, a Dog and if its correctly done you get a rendered dog, but this demands a bit off skill which I certainly never had in Bryce.

# 6 27-05-2009 , 04:17 AM

Originally posted by lillsnopp
You can actually do do anything if you put the energy into it. Characters, Houses etc but you need to use the, the thingy I forgot the name on, and load up a 'texture' or something to 'follow' for the.. erh.. Thingy.. And there you go.

Argh, the thingy you know, you load up for the mountainrange the FORMS the thingy they follow, anyway you load up something else to follow, lets say, a Dog and if its correctly done you get a rendered dog, but this demands a bit off skill which I certainly never had in Bryce.

The grey-scale height map thing for mountains? Yeah, one can use it to "sculpt" organic things such as characters, but it takes lots of time and effort. I can't remember, but I don't think it had a 3D view and the working space was small.

One can import a pic but I think that limited the options since Bryce's grayscale was 16-bit and most paint apps were 8, so the mesh wouldn't be smooth or deep enough... I can't remember, too long ago.

Anyways, I recall most people used booleans, rotating primitives and that to get the desired shape. One person had a robot I think. It was pretty good. If he didn't say he modelling it in Bryce I wouldn't have realized from a quick look.

# 7 28-05-2009 , 04:21 AM

The grey-scale height map thing for mountains? Yeah, one can use it to "sculpt" organic things such as characters, but it takes lots of time and effort. I can't remember, but I don't think it had a 3D view and the working space was small.

Thats it.. I dont know if its the right name but you know what I mean.

I remembering it taking A LOT of time and I, who sucked at it, usually did not get very good results but I did see people who made some amazing things with it, of course, we would never admit we cant do that, Because we can, we RULE, we just decided not to.. Yeah.....

And thinking about it, Bryce Booleans function was rather good, compared to, OH I DONT KNOW.. MAYA???

# 8 28-05-2009 , 05:38 AM

Originally posted by lillsnopp
Thats it.. I dont know if its the right name but you know what I mean.

I remembering it taking A LOT of time and I, who sucked at it, usually did not get very good results but I did see people who made some amazing things with it, of course, we would never admit we cant do that, Because we can, we RULE, we just decided not to.. Yeah.....

And thinking about it, Bryce Booleans function was rather good, compared to, OH I DONT KNOW.. MAYA???

I would not know, I only tried making terrain from the gray-scale thing... I wasn't very good at it (could never get it nearly as good as people on the net or the magazine tutorial. I used it for modelling buildings and for sky panoramas.

As you say, booleans on Maya, well, kinda suck and do not work as advertised in the User's Manual. I, like many novices, was left completely confused when using Booleans for the first time, since they just worked elsewhere...

# 9 28-05-2009 , 06:45 PM

As you say, booleans on Maya, well, kinda suck and do not work as advertised in the User's Manual. I, like many novices, was left completely confused when using Booleans for the first time, since they just worked elsewhere...

What?! Oh.... I think you got had there. Booleans have never functioned, it is a inside joke from AW and us old farts using Maya.

We pretend we use the 'Booleans Function' just to screw around with newbies and then they get all flustered and confused and almost give up (some do)...

A mean trick really. The Booleans button just randomly takes some other action and try using it on whatever face you may have picked. Thats why it works sometimes but mostly you get a error message.... :attn:

# 10 29-05-2009 , 04:54 AM
LOL! :lmao:

Good one! user added image