Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 106 24-09-2009 , 11:14 PM
Yeah, am looking into set driven keys at the moment to make the tongue poke out when the jaw opens, go back in when it closes etc, not too sure about rigging the eyes as they are just a solid shader and won't have pupils or anything, so may leave that for the next character.

Might look into rigging his eyebrows and mouth properly in the future too. Have only had a few days of learning rigging so am trying not to plan too much at this point.

# 107 29-09-2009 , 01:03 AM
Got a bit too eager to start animating and did a crappy walk cycle before I'd finished painting the weights, but as I've never animated anything before just couldn't resist...lol

It's really jerky, and really quite silly to do it at this early stage, but I'll continue doing the weights and redo it again once they are done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E_lMY7k-mo

# 108 29-09-2009 , 03:36 PM
I swear his facial expression gets me every time lol

umm, I’m no expert in the field of animation but i know one thing for sure and that’s what makes a really interesting walk cycle is the secondary actions that happens along the walk, just a heads up

But good job in the overall design I think you have archived to make ppl laugh by just looking at the face

:bow:

KUTGW and i can't wait to see the final outcome of this project

Cheers*

Autume Challenge Nov 09

Moving Forward
# 109 29-09-2009 , 03:49 PM
Haha, thanks Lion I,

I did want to make it kind of humorous, I got the tongue rigged and have since made him lick his lips as he looks at the camera, looks even funnier! lol

I will take the secondary movements into account when doing the proper animation, that was just a quick one to see how the process works etc, I've got a few good books on animation, a couple of tutorials and with some more online ones, will have many late nights studying and practising I should think!

Have started on the set for him to go in, so I can get a couple of decent still shots done before the animation continues.

I'm doing an alleyway scene, only got the walls and floor in there so far so will post some screen shots once I've gotten a bit further!

Last edited by Dango77; 29-09-2009 at 03:51 PM.
# 110 29-09-2009 , 10:38 PM
Here's the start to the set that I'm building for Smiler, a simple alleyway, will be adding windows, fire escapes, bins, vehicles, rubbish, drains and a whole lot more to it, but whilst having a little play around with Smiler in the scene, I came up with the basis for the final image....

I shall post a pre-viz render of what I came up with in a short while, with a bit of an explanation too.

Attached Thumbnails
# 111 29-09-2009 , 11:22 PM
Ok, here's the idea, and the explanation.

When thinking of a new piece to do, I often use the idea I put forward for the challenges in the "be honest, what do you want for challenges?" thread, I write down words that are extremely different, or contrast, and see what sparks my imagination.

So Whilst playing with Smiler in the alley scene I glanced at my pad and saw, "Trapped" and "Casual", which I'd written while thinking of some for the challenges on SM.

So now, this is what I'm going to aim for, for the final images for Smiler, this will be called "All casual like....", I doubt I need to explain any further!

I'll continue to add more detail to the scene, and the Smiler's will be re-positioned for the actual final image, but that's what I'm going with I think!

Attached Thumbnails
# 112 30-09-2009 , 01:04 AM
EduSciVis-er
Very nice, like it a lot... slo-mo hero swagger FTW!

# 113 30-09-2009 , 01:54 AM
yeah - like this a lot - have been enjoying watching this develop on facebook.. and it's nice to see a big version. the car is alright, but the monster kicks ass... user added image

oh, yeah - and love the pose of the guy - like he's taking his time before taking those things out.

# 114 30-09-2009 , 02:04 AM
Subscriber
i think he's got that teen-like gangster walk going on with the bounce and such

awesome stuff!

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 115 30-09-2009 , 04:55 AM
EduSciVis-er
looks like he's just about to whip out a bazooka or something...

# 116 30-09-2009 , 11:05 AM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by Dango77

When thinking of a new piece to do, I often use the idea I put forward for the challenges in the "be honest, what do you want for challenges?" thread, I write down words that are extremely different, or contrast, and see what sparks my imagination.

So Whilst playing with Smiler in the alley scene I glanced at my pad and saw, "Trapped" and "Casual", which I'd written while thinking of some for the challenges on SM.

So now, this is what I'm going to aim for, for the final images for Smiler, this will be called "All casual like....", I doubt I need to explain any further!

LOL, are you sure you don't have an art degree!

I have to agree, i think the funny face ruins it for me, I keep thinking happy panting puppy! ..maybe thats why he is so relaxed user added image

I really like the assets, usually i don't bother looking at the CD in 3d world but they seem pretty good. do they come rigged? its a great way to add details to your scene.

I think this will look very cool when you are done. i guess you are going for a comic book style again. It definitely reminds me of resident evil now.

# 117 30-09-2009 , 12:49 PM
Thanks everyone!

Glad the scenes getting a good response, I've started building some other bits today, done a dumpster and am starting some fire escapes now. Hopefully have another update later or tomorrow.

Hammer: Yeah, the assets on the CD's are really useful, most of them aren't rigged, so anything like that has to be done yourself, but they are really handy for adding extra details quickly to a scene, and bringing it a bit more to life. What can be annoying is when they give you a model, and textures, but the object doesn't have the Uv's laid out, so the maps don't actually work unless you spend hours tweaking til it all fits!

It'd be easier to lay out the Uv's and do your own texturing I think.

And I really don't have any educational background, at all! Zero qualifications, but a lot of enthusiasm to make up for it! Hahaha
But that's a nice compliment! Cheers!

Last edited by Dango77; 30-09-2009 at 01:20 PM.
# 118 01-10-2009 , 02:19 PM
Got a bit more done, Not sure if I'm going to keep the fire escape on the far right, I'm doing another AO render now to see how it's looking so maybe that'll help make up my mind on that.

Will post the AO render when it's done too.

Attached Thumbnails
# 119 01-10-2009 , 02:59 PM
Forgot to put the roll down ladder bit on the fire escapes, so will add that next, but here's the render for now.
Think I might keep the fire escape on the right after all, seems to look ok to me.

Attached Thumbnails
# 120 01-10-2009 , 03:41 PM
The Nurb Herd
i imagine your AO renders take forever! looks like really high settings.