Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 11-10-2009 , 03:46 AM
Subscriber
looking good!

are those wrinkles in the pants done in geometry?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 17 12-10-2009 , 07:45 AM
Subscriber
Chirone: Yep those were done in geometry with the sculp polygon tool. I had a picture up from the Gnomon website tutorial (the police detective one I think) and tried to do something similar without Z-Brush or Mudbox.

Here is another update as I start the upper half. The base tactical vest is done and adding some tactical nurnies to it. He's got a medkit under his left arm. Some base straps. On his back is a tactical computer and iff/radio transmitter, Going over his right shoulder is a touch pad so he can access tac data without having to yank it off. Over his left shoulder is a flashlight with a micro sensor array. The idea is it feeds IR/Thermal, Electronic Emmissions, and other sensory data into the computer which can give 'Control' an idea of what he sees. He can also remote feed the IR/Thermal scans in his currently undesigned tactical glasses. Speaking of which I forgot to model the small transmitter that will broadcast from the computer to the glasses. (bluetooth style)
Also the extra items under his computer are spare batteries. As the computer guy I figured he'd be running more stuff though his first (of two) Computers.

A little long winded I know... :p

Attached Thumbnails

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 18 19-10-2009 , 07:41 AM
Subscriber
Another Update before I go to bed. About 95% done with the modeling portion. I've got a few more things, primary weapon, wrist computer, and another pack on his right side thigh piece. Before I head into texturing.

Attached Thumbnails

# 19 19-10-2009 , 10:56 AM
Subscriber
Looking very cool but I have a complaint.

Its not about the modelling but the design

Its looking very much more like a drone character than a hero character. You know what I mean. A fodder solider before you get to the main boss. An extra more then the leading man.

# 20 19-10-2009 , 05:27 PM
To elaborate Tweetytunes's complaint:
A hero is a person with common human characteristics, but these characteristics must stand out to in order to distinguish him/her from a regular person. (Literature, ancient Greek tragedies... Never thought it'll come in handy)

This doesn't originally refer to physical characteristics but can be used for them all the same:
* Make extraordinarily big muscles and make more of the body visible to admire them.
* Avoid using glasses. As much as eyes are difficult to model and texture they contribute a great deal to the character.
*Same thing with hair...
* You may want to texture some scars. when you get to that stage.

On a different note, The equipment he carries looks too uniform. also there's too much of it for my taste - this draws attention away from the character.

Hope this helps,
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 21 20-10-2009 , 02:22 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the advice guys. The tactical vest I used for reference images has a lot of bulky stuff on it thats why I modeled so much stuff on there. I figured that as a Mercenary he would need to carry a bunch of stuff with him a-la Army of Two style.

I'll finish modeling a few things that I have in mind then take the chest area back to concept. There should be plenty of time especially if I wind up going with something simpler. (Hawaiian shirt maybe?). I'll take a look at the A-team and see if I can't come up with something that will make him stand out a bit more. Look less like a drone and more like a main player.

# 22 20-10-2009 , 04:30 AM
EduSciVis-er
Just from a first impression, I'd say it's the glasses and the pose that make him look the most drone-ish. Obviously at least one of those will be easy to change (i.e. the pose, in case you didn't catch it :p)

# 23 21-10-2009 , 08:06 AM
Subscriber
Thanks again for the advice everyone has given me! Made some major changes and wanted to get an opinion if I'm getting a better overall look before I move on to the few other things I want to add.

Instead of going for a 'carrying everything and the kitchen sink look' I'm trying something simpler. The padded kevlarish type shirt will have a lot more detail added when moved to the texture phase. Also I'll add in hair and I still want to use goggles but I'll have them on his forehead instead of covering his face. So he doesn't have his eyes covered.

Attached Images

# 24 21-10-2009 , 11:47 AM
Hmmmm in my opinion its a 200% improvement!!!

Looking very much like a CG adventure hero. Great Job!!!

Im worried now off to model more user added image...

# 25 21-10-2009 , 04:30 PM
EduSciVis-er
Yep, big improvement in my opinion.

# 26 21-10-2009 , 09:14 PM
Much better! Looking forward to seeing how this turns out user added image

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 27 21-10-2009 , 09:24 PM
Subscriber
i think the elbows need to come down the arm a bit.
the forearm looks massively long compared to the <insert-name-of-the-part-of-the-arm-between-the-shoulder-and-elbow>

otherwise, like everyone else said, the accessories are better now

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 28 21-10-2009 , 11:17 PM
The Nurb Herd
yeah i kinda agree with chirone, some of the body and head proportions seem off.

I think the trousers look great btw, and i like this look better.

# 29 25-10-2009 , 11:39 AM
Subscriber
One more set of updates to post. I'm about to call the modeling portion done and wanted to get some feedback before I get too deep into texturing. I increased his head slightly and decreased the forearm length as well.

That funny thing on his head is a polygon cap for hair. I used lofted nurbs to make it and the duped the converted surfaces to polys to show how it looks. Needless to say I'll be playing with it some more to get a better look out of it. And it will give me more practice with texturing and UVMapping which will help me improve a ton.

Attached Thumbnails

# 30 25-10-2009 , 11:42 AM
Subscriber
A closeup of his computer 'keyboard' device in its open position. When I get to the end of texturing I'm going to play with SDK to get it to open without having to do it all manually.

Attached Thumbnails