Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 03-07-2010 , 01:11 PM
Subscriber

Skele Man

Hi guys, I'm following the Skele Man tutorial from Kurt (great job btw I'm finding your Organic Modelling tuts really helpful!)

I'm basically a newcomer to 3D modelling and I'm really enjoying every moment of it, but I struggle a lot when I have to rely on my own techniques and skills to tweak models. I find it very difficult to visualise some of things that Kurt makes his models look like 'between sections' of his tutorials.

So I have a few issue,

1) I'm trying to avoid having unnecessary poles in my geometry.

2) I'm trying to keep my mesh entirely in quads if possible.

Now this isn't linked in so much to the tweaks that I struggle with but it is a technique I also find hard to master.

So in the tut, Kurt attaches the arm to the torso by cutting out a rough shape, using Polygon Combine, and Merges the verts to sow it up. I decided to use the other technique I learnt from him in the Anime Character tut and use boolean.

This worked nicely and I have cleaned up my geometry except the 2 problems above. Could some one give me a hand in how to get rid of these. (see attached)

Cheers,

user added image

user added image

Last edited by simon88; 03-07-2010 at 01:13 PM.
# 2 03-07-2010 , 05:47 PM
The thin red line
I can not see any thing wrong with the first shot, but you can fix the second one using the split poly tool see pic.............dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 03-07-2010 , 06:22 PM
Subscriber
Well nothing is wrong as such about that first one, except I thought I had read some where, maybe in the Topology thread, that having 5 faces sharing a single vert (a pole) is bad, but that may have been for animation and deformation purposes only.

Any one else back me on that one or is it okay to leave it?

Thanks for the nice simple solution to that 5 sider, dont know how I didn't spot that. Cheers

# 4 06-07-2010 , 02:29 AM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
Since it is in the armpit area I dont think its going to be a big deal when it comes to animating it, I could be wrong but it should be fine.

# 5 06-07-2010 , 08:10 AM
Subscriber
from what i've read sometimes a vertex with more than 4 edges is unavoidable

but i think i've seen some meshes (Jay's work i think) where it was entirely of quads and all verts had 4 edges on them

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 6 06-07-2010 , 04:50 PM
Head of 3d Admedia

but i think i've seen some meshes (Jay's work i think) where it was entirely of quads and all verts had 4 edges on them

that is the one skill that has evaded me