Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 16-08-2010 , 11:57 AM
Subscriber

Rendering crazyness

Hi Everyone,
Its been a while since my last post, recently I have been playing around with Maya and I made a few simple objects before I get into something more complicated. Anyway I have createdsome old and warn out brief cases, which are very low poly with a 1024 x 1024 texture size. The only problem I have is the rendering on parts of the brief case (please see pictures).
The texture on the top brief case is stretching, does anyone know what going on?

cheers

:headbang:

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 16-08-2010 , 12:02 PM
The Nurb Herd
i assume its your UVs.

# 3 16-08-2010 , 01:29 PM
Subscriber
Hi dude,
I checked my UV's, history and made sure the normal's are fliped to the corect sides.

user added image

# 4 16-08-2010 , 02:03 PM
The thin red line
Some times add a little goemetry can fix it?

# 5 16-08-2010 , 03:00 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
You are modeling very low poly but still decide to apply a 1 k texture map?
I don't see the use of this workflow, either you make a low poly object ( for games for instance)and apply a small texture map, or as it looks like in this case you want to make something as reall as you can get it, then I would suggest that you bevel the hard edges even it if it is ever so slightly, because nothing in this world has a hard edge like that and it looks very unnatural if you do so.
If you really want help post the UV map with and without the image visible this way we can judge where it goes wrong.

It looks fairly nice thoughuser added image

# 6 16-08-2010 , 08:05 PM
Subscriber
Hi mastone,

I totally understand what you are saying, with this piece I do need to decide what it will be use for (games or realism). However I want to show a good level of control in my modelling skills and texturing.

What would you suggest is the best way demonstrating this in a 3D artist portfolio?

Thanks for the comments, please continue to give feed back and here is the UV's for this object.

Attached Images
# 7 16-08-2010 , 10:12 PM
Can you show the UV's screened over the texture? That would help me visualize things better. thanks

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com