Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 27-12-2010 , 01:19 AM
Events Team at Wargaming.net

Centaur WIP

Well I was in zBrush working on the sculpt when I realized that my UVs got all messed up, so I exported the lowest subd level from zBrush and cleaned it up in maya, currently in the process of redoing my UV's but here is the model in Maya atm.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 27-12-2010 , 01:47 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
A useful uv tip when uvs get messy from Maya to Zb.

If you have done a huge amount of sculpting in Z and the uvs are screwed just save a blend shape in Zb and reimport the original from maya and hit switch in Z, the original uvs will be transfered to the sculpt without you having to go back and forth to maya.

I had this a couple of years back on a job, and there isnt actually much written about it in any zbrush manual, so I did alot of resarch asking around as you should have to start over...

cheers
J

# 3 28-12-2010 , 01:21 AM
I will have to try that out Jay, may save me a lot of time later on..it seems like every project I bring into Z I mess up some how...can never get those darn Normal Maps to come out the first time.

# 4 28-12-2010 , 07:03 AM
Alright so I decided to test out my Normal Map before I get to far into sculpting and it's not working right, trying to upload some images now but its not working. Will post some so you can get an understanding of what I mean when I say its not working.

So it was Firefox being stupid, had to get on Internet Explorer =/

I figured it out, the Normal Map was upside down. Took the photos down since they dont need to be up anymore

Last edited by Ozgalis; 28-12-2010 at 07:35 AM.
# 5 28-12-2010 , 07:27 AM
Lifetime Member
Hey mate....hope the normal maps dont kill you....the only obvious thing I can see is:

The upper body is disproportionate to the centaur, it should be slightly bigger as do the arms.

You might want to alter that before you get too deep in Z??

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 6 28-12-2010 , 07:37 AM
thanks bullet, will have to change that in the morning going to watch a movie and pass out for the night, will post an update after I change the proportions tomorrow.

# 7 28-12-2010 , 09:04 PM
So I pulled down the torso a little, made the arms a little thicker, and pulled the back out some. I did notice that the back legs look to smooth down near the hoof.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Ozgalis; 28-12-2010 at 09:36 PM.
# 8 28-12-2010 , 09:14 PM
it might just be me but the upper half seems smaller than the lower half of the body.....and the arms are way to small lol

# 9 28-12-2010 , 09:34 PM
hamidz: as in the torso needs to be stretched? from the bottom of the torso to the top of the head its almost as tall as the horse body. Here is an update to the arms let me know if they need to change at all, I pulled them out quite a bit and widened them more.

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 28-12-2010 , 09:51 PM

hamidz: as in the torso needs to be stretched? from the bottom of the torso to the top of the head its almost as tall as the horse body. Here is an update to the arms let me know if they need to change at all, I pulled them out quite a bit and widened them more.

are you gonna make like a cartoony version of a centaur or a realistic one? because if you're going the cartoon style, i guess the last picture you posted has the correct proportions....but if you're wanting to make a more realistic one you should go somethign like this:
user added image

long time ago i made a centaur with Maya/Zbrush, i lost all my files and pretty much the only thing i have left is an iff picture file of the base mesh lol:
https://simplymaya.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1293573006

i know its not clear, but thats the only thing i have left :p

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 28-12-2010 , 09:59 PM
haha oh man that sucks, sorry to hear that. I was planning on attempting a realistic one, perhaps I should restart a base mesh? that or just tweak mine a lot...will have to debate lol. Thanks for the quick responds.

# 12 29-12-2010 , 01:31 AM
Lifetime Member
have you got any refs Oz??? I posted some in the animal section yesterday which have some good images of horses, then I would just get an image of a weightlifter and try to composite the two maybe?

Thats gotta suck hamidz!! I know some one else who lost a crap load of work...not nice.

Nice model...very detailed!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 13 29-12-2010 , 01:41 AM

have you got any refs Oz??? I posted some in the animal section yesterday which have some good images of horses, then I would just get an image of a weightlifter and try to composite the two maybe?

Thats gotta suck hamidz!! I know some one else who lost a crap load of work...not nice.

Nice model...very detailed!

cheers bullet

lol the first pic in my post isnt the centaur i made...its just a reference image i found on the net to show the correct proportion of a realistic centaur.

the second pic, the base mesh, that one is mine and the only thing left of my centaur project, the details and all the other files i lost :p

# 14 29-12-2010 , 02:16 AM
Lifetime Member
Lol......still a good model whoever did it!!

I have been in a similar situation...stuck in a remote area...computer crashes..all my Survey data gone. Had to send it back to Perth...took a week...LUCKILY I got it back..3 months of calcs were in there LOL.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 15 29-12-2010 , 07:55 AM
So I ended up restarting, I am so far actually happier with it. Maya started acting funky and kept not allowing me to go back to object mode so decided to stop after I finished blocking out the Horse Body...here it is so far.

Attached Thumbnails