Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 13-01-2011 , 11:37 PM
Subscriber

Disk Resource Management

Greetings all. I have noticed in a couple of job specs recently, tasks such as 'disk resource management', and 'data archival and restoration'. Can anybody give me an idea of what these tasks would involve, and what knowledge/skills you would need to be able to say, 'I can do that!'....??

These tasks were in job specs that were along the lines of entry level positions, render farm management e.t.c

# 2 14-01-2011 , 12:25 AM
The Nurb Herd
you need to know linux. Thats about it.

EDIT: sorry, to explain further. Its an easy job that you need to know linux for.
You basically manage data for current jobs. To do this you move, delete, and archive data on the storage disks. It might be incorporated into a render assistant job, where you would have to look after renders and allocate render boxes from the farm to particular jobs. Again, its not complicated, It just takes some time to remember the linux commands, figure out the company's pipeline, and directory structure.

Last edited by honestdom; 14-01-2011 at 12:32 AM.
# 3 17-01-2011 , 04:15 PM
SM Tea Boy
Anyone with this job can simplify the process immensely. Just type rm -rf /* should sort thous pesky files out in no time, leaving valuable drinking time free. A SimplyMaya top tip.

Dave user added image

EDIT: if your new to linux do not type that lol

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 4 17-01-2011 , 05:12 PM
The Nurb Herd
hahaha

(i feel like more of a geek because i laughed at that.)

got root.

# 5 17-01-2011 , 05:32 PM
EduSciVis-er

Anyone with this job can simplify the process immensely. Just type rm -rf /* should sort thous pesky files out in no time, leaving valuable drinking time free. A SimplyMaya top tip.

Dave user added image

Yikes man... as a general rule, never type code unless you're sure you know what it does. For the non-nix, that's pretty much equivalent to formatting C:\.

# 6 17-01-2011 , 05:51 PM

Dave user added image

Or you could just carefully open the disk housings and toss a hand full of metal filings inside and seal them back up.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 7 17-01-2011 , 05:52 PM
EduSciVis-er

Or you could just carefully open the disk housings and toss a hand full of metal filings inside and seal them back up.

Yes, but that voids the warranty.