Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 16-02-2011 , 02:42 AM
Haven't done much but thought I'd post something. I added the top part but still trying to design the details. The stuff in the back is just me playing around with shapes, nothing definitive, just experimenting.

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 17 16-02-2011 , 03:21 AM
Subscriber
I like the back - not sure what they would do, but they look cool.

# 18 16-02-2011 , 06:26 PM
Playing around with the overall shape to make it look faster. I like this better but it raises 2 questions.

1. Is it okay to stray this far from my original concept?
2. Is the design too close to current jet designs?

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 19 16-02-2011 , 06:35 PM
Subscriber
I don`t see any problems here I`m going off mine - only thing it reminds me off is that stelf plaine but thats a very different shape.

I think its a very nice rework - only thing nagging me is the end fins - they look a bit tall

# 20 16-02-2011 , 06:51 PM
Thanks for the reply tweetytunes. If everyone else is okay with it, especially Jay user added image then I'll go with it. I'll make those fins smaller, I think you're right. The only purpose of those is to help keep the air from twirling as it comes off the ends of the wings so like you said, they don't have to be very tall.

If this overall design is ok, I'm going to try and use futuristic propulsion technology like you see in Star Wars or Star Trek so figuring out how to detail the back is going to be tricky I think. I still have to figure out the top side details as well. So much designing left to do, so little time haha.

Exceed Expectations!
# 21 16-02-2011 , 10:47 PM
Lifetime Member
It will be close to existing designs mate but thats where the inspiration will come from. I agree they are a tad too large...I think they should be on the rear leading edge too...I dont think they would be effective where they are to minimise air turbulance?? The front looks good now its sleeker...keep going mate!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 22 16-02-2011 , 11:45 PM
I've really been trying to analyze ships and what makes something look fast and what makes something look slow. I think in general for air/space crafts, slimmer=faster and wider= slower, as far as looks go. I think for the competition, I'll be better off keeping with the original design as it doesn't look too similar to anything that exists.

Not sure how much work I'll put into though because I don't allow myself to spend too much time for play due to other responsibilities/priorities and the more I play with the design of this thing, the more I want to design and model a really cool looking jet (that looks fast too haha). But I think no matter what design I come up with for a jet that could probably realistically fly, it would be similar to designs that already exist.

After doing some googling I did end up finding an aircraft similar to my last design and that's the Concorde. I mean it really has alot of similarities so that's why I think I'm better off keeping to my original concept even if it doesn't "look" near as fast.

I'm really liking this shape except for a little rework on the shape of the back part of the wings but I'm sure if I spend enough time on google, I'll end up finding a jet similar user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 23 17-02-2011 , 12:14 AM
19 year Veteran
I like your first design better perfecto, but thats just my opinion.

# 24 17-02-2011 , 01:08 AM
Yeah I'm with THX on that one, the first design was coming along really nicely I thought.

# 25 20-02-2011 , 01:06 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
# 26 20-02-2011 , 01:39 AM
Lifetime Member
It looks faster but I disagree with your theory mate. Have a look at my HK25 (yes I know it aint finished lol)....that is fairly wide....look at an F-15 and an SU-37...both very wide aircraft but they look bloody fast and deadly at the same time...a plane that does look fast and is slim are F-16 or the old USAAF Starfighter.....F104 (sorry couldnt remember the F assigned number)

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 20-02-2011 at 01:41 AM.
# 27 20-02-2011 , 01:43 AM
Lifetime Member

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 20-02-2011 at 01:55 AM.