Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 19-03-2011 , 01:29 AM
Subscriber

correct way to get multiple UVs to show up on the texture editor

I seem to run into this problem every time i try arrange UVs in Maya and I've never seen anyone have this issue before

I'm not sure how to get the UVs of multiple objects to show up all at the same time and move the UVs of one of those objects while still seeing the others.

Everytime I do manage to do it I never know how I got there.
I'll select a few objects and they show up in the texture editor. then when I go to select a UV (or group of UVs) the others just disappear.

how do I stop them from disappearing?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 2 19-03-2011 , 01:56 AM
If I understand what you're trying to do, select one object and go to UV component mode. Right click over your next object, without selecting it, and select UV. Repeat for all the objects you need.

Then, in your texture editor, right click>UV. Now you should be able to select your UV's and move them around with the other UV shells remaining. As long as you don't return to object mode, they should remain.

Hope that helps.

# 3 19-03-2011 , 01:59 AM
Subscriber
yeah, that's definitely one way to do it. I'm sure ive fluked it before without having to go through all the objects in question.
It does seem like there should be a quicker way to do it though... doesn't exactly scale up too well when you have more than a few objects to look at

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 4 19-03-2011 , 02:25 AM
Think I just figured out the quicker way. With all your objects selected, along the status line, click on select by component type (tapping F8 also switches to component mode), than click on the sphere, and it'll put all your selected objects into UV mode. It should then work the same in the texture editor.

# 5 19-03-2011 , 07:26 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL I have the same problem and it drives me NUTS....I do get them all to show as well but forget what I did...aaahhhhhh Maya...thanks skippy I will try that

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 6 19-03-2011 , 10:28 PM
Subscriber
hmmm, that seems to work, thanks skippy!