Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 31 16-03-2011 , 11:05 AM
Subscriber
hey i'm totally up for suggestions and ideas ay!
if you give input and i decide I don't want to use it then I'm sure you wont mind.
a lot of pictures of huts i find don't look overly suitable for windy places, but i figure a circular nature to the building would reduce the chance of a building being blown down.

but if i did take your ideas then it would no doubt be "hayden-ified" (that's me, hayden)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 32 16-03-2011 , 11:18 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL no worries hayden...I will try not to Anthonise it too much (thats me Anthony).

Ok first off you really do need (construction views mate) pivot points of weight bearers...ie every 10 to 20 metres SHOULD be either a column from top to bottom to take the weight of the planks..ie bridge...with me so far? if not I can bash out a 5 min example.

Shit..Jay I hope this is ok helpin out here?

second : for both water run off and basic 'lets not roll out the door over the cliff' the planks should have a lean towards the cliff face...so if you staggered out pissed and fell over..you would roll back towards the cliff face.

third: to dissapate the water run off...right hard up against the cliff would be a gutter (same as the one on your roof) this would take the water to the end of the row..either to a tank on every floor (for water) or to a resovoir at the bottom..which would then need a bucket/winch for everyone to share the water...or you could use a corkscrew gadget like they did in ancient Egypt.

This would of course mean that either every level, will have a slight fall from left to right (or vice versa) or the floor will be flat and the gutter itself will have the fall.

Have I still got you??

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 33 16-03-2011 , 08:16 PM
Subscriber

Ok first off you really do need (construction views mate) pivot points of weight bearers...ie every 10 to 20 metres SHOULD be either a column from top to bottom to take the weight of the planks..ie bridge...with me so far? if not I can bash out a 5 min example.

you mean a pole that goes to the bottom of the cliff?

second : for both water run off and basic 'lets not roll out the door over the cliff' the planks should have a lean towards the cliff face...so if you staggered out pissed and fell over..you would roll back towards the cliff face.

that makes sense, maybe ill have one of 'earlier construction' where the platform is sloping downwards away from the cliff and a broken fence where someone has stumbled out of...

third: to dissapate the water run off...right hard up against the cliff would be a gutter (same as the one on your roof) this would take the water to the end of the row..either to a tank on every floor (for water) or to a resovoir at the bottom..which would then need a bucket/winch for everyone to share the water...or you could use a corkscrew gadget like they did in ancient Egypt.

This would of course mean that either every level, will have a slight fall from left to right (or vice versa) or the floor will be flat and the gutter itself will have the fall.

ah yeah, thats one way to get water... i was (still probably will) have a pulley system where there's some rope with buckets attached to it that goes down to the water below to scoop some out. two ways to get water should be good user added image

Have I still got you??

mostly! apart from the first part i get what you mean

thanks!

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 34 16-03-2011 , 09:24 PM
Lifetime Member
LOL yeh the first part....what I mean is like a suspension bridge....every now and then you would have a support pole/beam to take the weight of the decking...as it is it is completely unsupported...if I get time at work I will sketch it

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 35 18-03-2011 , 11:50 PM
Subscriber
Good thing i'm not an architect...

Attached Thumbnails

# 36 19-03-2011 , 07:13 AM
Lifetime Member
That one doesnt do it for me Chirone.....the vertical logs dont bend in life...and they wouldnt get put together like you have it. I wouldnt make the logs on the big hut on the roof...they would have main ones...but the internal ones would be smaller...will try and do a quick example if it helps?

cheers bullet

EDIT: something akin to this maybe??

and I got bored...LOL

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 19-03-2011 at 01:35 PM.
# 37 19-03-2011 , 09:42 PM
Subscriber
The logs aren't bent, there's the logs that make up the wall and then logs that were cut slanted and placed on top.
I'm not entirely sure of what the roof should be like. I suppose planks of wood would work, but I'm not sure of how it would connect at the corners... I could just make it out of cloth or something.... not sure how that would work in these conditions...

also, your building is way better than mine user added image

# 38 19-03-2011 , 11:10 PM
Lifetime Member
LOL ok mate sorry...they just looked bent to me. Actually I was thinking of cloth too....LOL nah my house is just boredom mate...yours are fine. Something like the back one?? Sorry mate its early in the morning LOL took an hour too!!

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 39 19-03-2011 , 11:15 PM
Subscriber
yeah I did another image search for wooden huts (it's good it works now, i bought a switch to hook up both my mac, pc, and laptop and somehow it magically solved the images issue i had) and found something pretty cool

https://gallery.hd.org/_exhibits/plac...tall-1-DHD.jpg

yeah i saw a lot of houses like the one you just built, but i don't think the square-ness would work, it'd catch the wind too well, so Im looking at building angled stuff.

# 40 19-03-2011 , 11:17 PM
Lifetime Member
Thats cool and petite...I like it man

bullet1968

# 41 19-03-2011 , 11:47 PM
Subscriber
took a cylinder, cut in two, bridged the gap, added edge loops, and extruded.
shot myself in the foot by deleting faces for the door and window before doing the edge loops and extrusion so it took longer than it should have to make

maya crashed just as i was starting lay out the UVs for it, lucky i saved just before then

but here's the result:

Attached Thumbnails

# 42 21-03-2011 , 01:47 PM
I really like the design of the new houses.

Have you decided on what the final render will focus on?

# 43 21-03-2011 , 08:27 PM
Subscriber
unknown.
I want to show that there are houses built along the cliff all connecting to a central platform and then a web of rope bridges and rope... not sure if that would be too busy or if i can make it not... or rather, if i will finish on time

# 44 27-03-2011 , 01:27 AM
Subscriber
small update. I'll make the cliff better later...

Attached Thumbnails

# 45 27-03-2011 , 01:57 AM
Lifetime Member
bit hard to see but is the garden the central peice mate?

bullet1968