Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 27-03-2011 , 09:18 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks guys...that will be all for the week I think...busy at work again LOL

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 17 28-03-2011 , 05:15 AM
Did you use Ply and Nurbs to model ? What is your trick to hard surface modeling adding edge loops or creases ?

# 18 28-03-2011 , 05:38 AM
Lifetime Member
Edge loops, bevels, whatever works mate...sometimes I do one..then delete and try another and see how the geo deforms..if I even deform it. I did the most in polys...I have used curves on live surfaces for the pipework around the helmet and extruded shapes along the path....that doesnt always waork either..I just experiment really mate. Im not so afraid of NURBS though I do not have the skills to model completely with them...but Im learning a little here and there.

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 19 28-03-2011 , 09:44 AM
When one does a model like this do you combine the complete armor mesh into one big one or keep it separate? Like the helmet, is that one mesh ?

How did you do the mouth section? It that a projection of a curve?

Apologies if I bug you to much about all the stuff...But the model looks great and that's where I want to be by hopefully end of this year if all goes well.

# 20 28-03-2011 , 10:01 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL Im flattered mate as I think my skills are very amateurish...I have only been doing it as a hobby for about a year, I have a LONG way to go to be as good as ctbram, tweety or daverave, paldav or anyone I know on here (if I didnt mention your name...it wasnt ignorance just too many of you LOL).

I used to try and combine it all but it was pointed out that isnt required. The helmet was seperate but I did combine the shell, the face is seperate as are the tubes etc on the helmet itself. No the only curves I used are on the air intake at the top and the tubes at the side...the rest started as cubes or cylinder poly's mate.

The spongy looking stuff between the legs and knees are just helix's manipulated. I try and do as many of the free tuts on here and Free friday is cool man (though some I do anyway in my models). I try and do bits of things like the Rain tut and some Dynaimcs as well as the tutorials proper. I would recommend (depending on your skill of course) the Spitfire tutorial....that wasnt too hard....it has a bit of everything in it.

It really depends on what you want to do...I WILL recommend the lighting tutorial...it doesnt matter if you have a model so good Lucas craps his pants...if the lighting is crap..the model will look crap LOL...so DO that one in you spare time whilst you model. I cant do organics but now that I have achieved 'toddler' status amongst all the good artists here...I went for Jays Chef Ramsay...I felt daunted but once I got into it...it isnt overly taxing on the brain. Just take it slow and take notes...I have a book now where I listen and watch and take notes as well as model, or light.

Im really getting enthused and hope to one day produce something as good as the guys here can....DONT get discouraged and take the crits from those (you will work them out) as help because thats what we are all here for...to have FUN and to help anyone we can...because thats what makes Simply Maya the best damn place on the net mate....but dont forget...hard work from you will be the thing that makes the difference!!

I will post some wires soon for you man so you can see whats going on...smoothed and unsmoothed...TIP, not EVERYTHING has to be smoothed...sometimes just bevels etc are fine..depending on the material and how close you are going to get.......

cheers bullet

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 28-03-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: addenda
# 21 28-03-2011 , 12:30 PM
Lifetime Member
Ok some wires for those who are interested

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 22 28-03-2011 , 01:38 PM
bullet, appreciate the post and thanks for the motivation, Maya is really hard to learn and takes loads of time doing it part time. Wish I could spend more time on it.

Thanks for the wire frames

Have to say your work is really great, you definitely have the Maya gene in you

Cheers m8

# 23 28-03-2011 , 03:32 PM
Subscriber
coming along great mate.....starting to make me wish i'd finished the one i started a few months back now.

g-man

# 24 28-03-2011 , 09:10 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks guys..appreciate it a lot...you can still do one LOZ.....

I duno about the Maya gene mate...wish I had the Lotto gene LOL then I could do it fulltime.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 25 28-03-2011 , 09:18 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Good start.... awaiting epic battle animation!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 26 28-03-2011 , 09:24 PM
The thin red line
Hi bullet
Thank god for that I thought you had turned into miss nova with here long posts LOL, good to see you are using smoothed and unsmoothed meshes its comming along nicely. Ho yes is that ozy dollars I need to send..........LOL......dave

Last edited by daverave; 28-03-2011 at 09:33 PM.
# 27 28-03-2011 , 09:30 PM
Lifetime Member
LOL yeh steve I have been ROPED in and am told I should be animating it...thats the scary bit...never rigged before...so i will have to watch how I keep doing this fella.

Thanks dave...yeh Im trying to get out of the habit of smoothing all now mate...I can see why...yep Aussie dollars are fine thanks...they are worth a bit now LOL...must be all them holes we keep digging in the backyard.

If LOZ pulls his finger out steve...we could have that battle eh?? he he he he

bullet1968

# 28 29-03-2011 , 01:55 AM
Subscriber
Nah mate, iff'n i finish the one i started a while back, i'll wait a bit...don't want to steal any of your fire....I always hated having two of the same models on teh board at the same time....you end up comparing the two which isnt always a good thing..( unless its tutorial work ups anyway)..
G-man

# 29 29-03-2011 , 06:00 AM
Bullet,

What do you mean by smoothed and unsmoothed meshes? is that when you hit 1 or 2 on the keyboard in Maya? or is it when you do hard edges?

Didn't notice you from Australia, myself and my wife are immigrating to Australia in 6 months time.

Again thanks for your posts

# 30 29-03-2011 , 06:16 AM
Lifetime Member
You are Polish?? maybe?? or Irish?? cos thats where everyone is coming from LOL...you are in construction?

Smoth 'preview' is on the keyboard yes, it gives you what it will look like when you actually use the smooth command in Mesh>Smooth...this smooth is permanent so be careful...if you smooth and save you CANNOT decrease the oly count in the object you have smoothed.

So some geo will be 'smoothed' for finals...and some will not be touched...ie just bevelled to make look smoth...but the geo isnt altered..Ok?

cheers bullet

bullet1968