Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 03-05-2011 , 06:40 PM

Adding geometry

Hi Im probably going about this the wrong way (Polygon model) - but Id like to add geometry to the top of my coke can to create the bumps you see for hole opening etc.

Is there a way of creating this relief effect?

Thanks
Graham

# 2 03-05-2011 , 08:56 PM
The thin red line
For the main hole look up ctbram making holes tutorial on this site, as for the other bumpy surface I think what you need is a bump map and UVs I would google that, if you get stuck drop another line here...........dave

# 3 03-05-2011 , 09:19 PM
Subscriber
Are you modeling this one? user added image
Than you really need a good tutorial. Model out the bigger parts & for the bump jump to ps again user added image

Attached Images
# 4 03-05-2011 , 10:49 PM
Lifetime Member
The can is actually fairly simple joey....cutting the hole isnt easy though...the ringpull keep as seperate geo...you can use geo if you want for the small bumps...but a bump map will suffice. If you arent cutting the actual hole SC then it would be the same as with one. Keep me posted

cheers bullet

P.S I practiced a lot when bored and made can after can after can without mapping...fun and good to get the eye in. I think I got down to less then 5 minutes for a can eventually....just kept doing it as fast as I could. This was the can and the ring pull only...no textures

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 04-05-2011 , 03:33 AM
Subscriber
Hi Sircharles,

Here's a rough bump map example I did quickly for some of my students a couple of years back, for the top of an aluminium can.

Feel free to use this, or refer to it when making your own. You will need to load this file into the Bump attribute of your Material that is applied to the top of your can.

Hope this helps!

Simon

PS Not sure what your level of proficiency is, but I had my students apply this texture using UV co-ordinates, although you could also use projection mapping if you are more comfortable with that!

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by priimate; 04-05-2011 at 03:40 AM.
# 6 04-05-2011 , 08:02 AM
Guys this forum is so excellent.

Great community, Im doing a Red bull can and will upload when I've made a few attempts.

Thanks
Graham
(beginner)

# 7 04-05-2011 , 02:53 PM
user added image

Obviously getting serious grain down the side, its a maya material x with anisotropy turned on.
Can't seem to lose the grain though.

# 8 04-05-2011 , 08:57 PM
Im fairly satisfied with the outcome. Its just a personal project, but feel it could be alot better.
Feel free to critique.

user added image
user added image
user added image

# 9 05-05-2011 , 11:27 AM
Lifetime Member
NOt bad mate...not bad....yeh the grain looks a little off...I cant remember but here is a filter you can adjust...Im crook at the mo, will have a look tomorrow, good effort mate

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 10 05-05-2011 , 11:56 AM
The Nurb Herd
the grain could be your glossy samples maybe?

# 11 06-05-2011 , 08:14 AM
you - could be right. The render times are like 30 mins each at least so I'll have a look later on. The file placed in the reflections is probably costly or maybe the final gather?
I was thinking of doing it with another method anyway - which would be putting the file in the bump and then faking a blurred reflection. - all this talk, I should talk less do more.

# 12 06-05-2011 , 08:19 AM
Lifetime Member
You also appear to have multiple shadows on the first one mate....whoa! 30 mins...thats a bloody long time....

bullet1968

# 13 06-05-2011 , 08:31 AM
should I just have shadows set to one light?
any suggestions for dropping render times?

forgot to say - two spots are set to area / with surface shaders behind them.
final gather is at 300 I think and settings are final gather preview.

Last edited by Sircharles; 06-05-2011 at 08:34 AM.
# 14 06-05-2011 , 09:54 AM
Lifetime Member
Quick answer for shadows is yes.....well for me anyway...there is a way to make them object relevant but I cant remember if that makes a diff..LOL I have lost my notes on Essential Lighting..get it if you can...great tutorial.

2nd one Im not sure of BUT I think there is an FG filter...bump that up a little and see if it makes a difference. As for render times..well again Im green but it depends on how much grunt is allocated from the CPU...I could be wrong. Can you load the file so I can see mate?? Unless one of the guru's can answer....

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 15 07-05-2011 , 02:11 PM
The thin red line
Im not a lighting expert but would turn of final gather and use 3 spot lights to start with, one with shadow on. Play about with the setting...........dave