Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 30-09-2011 , 06:03 PM
Acid44

Advice for working from home?

I've been having trouble with keeping myself motivated/on any sort of schedule. I have a major tendency to just do an hour of modeling and then play video games and watch Top Gear the rest of the day. Anyone have any advice that could help keep me on the ball? I really need to start getting work done D:

# 2 30-09-2011 , 06:13 PM
EduSciVis-er
Top Gear!!!
There's probably lots of articles about this. Have searched through lifehacker or one of those types of websites? I think everybody struggles with to some extent (whether studying, working, or creative hobbying). You could try time tracking software. I think some are simple and you just hit start and stop, but others I think track which windows you have open and keep you on task. Good luck and let me know what you find.

# 3 30-09-2011 , 06:14 PM
EduSciVis-er
Edit: Just realized I'm on simpy maya instead of studying abdominal autonomic innervation... dang.

# 4 30-09-2011 , 06:35 PM
Acid44

Edit: Just realized I'm on simpy maya instead of studying abdominal autonomic innervation... dang.

*Woosh* Right over me head user added image

None of the articles I've seen so far have been overly useful. Just the usual "Don't let things distract you, try to isolate yourself, etc, etc."

Kind of hard to do any of those when I have a fridge 7 feet from me, access to the internet, a pregnant girlfriend who I have to take care of, a tv in my line of sight, and so on user added image

I'll have a look on Lifehacker though, forgot that website existed

# 5 30-09-2011 , 08:14 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Dude

I'll be straight - you just sound bored and tired with no interest in what you are doing.

I had been in a studio for a year that was super busy, but have been at home since july and its now near October. In that time I have helped bring two new tutorials to simply with a 3rd on the way. It does get a bit weird every few days staring at the walls but I try and stick to a daily routine as if I were actually going to work. I get up with my girls as they ready for school and work and I essentially do the same, except I only travel to the PC or laptop depending on what Im doing specifically (the laptop is more powerful than the pc at the moment LOL). The thing is to be totally focused on the task in hand, treat home as if it were the office. Take a break when you would at work, take an hour for lunch, just walk away from the pc get a break.

Also I have a playstation right behind me in the study, I never touch it. If I have a slight gap in making a tute I usually try and learn something related to the work or just read some Maya books to stay in the zone, I have even begun tweaking my reel...its just discipline. Concentrate on the task in hand, you wont even worry about playing games. I dont even think about it. If you can get into a routine on a daily basis you will actually feel like you did something.

Im usually around on skype too talking Maya etc so the day is entirely work related.

As for the pregnant girlfriend you 'have' to take care of...mmm I am a Dad and have been there and I say..no not really, you make it sound like an illness, she will know how to take it easy her body will tell her,I dont know how far along she is but she wont need wrapping up in cotton wool so to speak. The work begins WHEN the baby comes. Tell your girlfriend you need to work, Im sure she understands and knows you are there for her when the time comes. If you were in a Studio all day you wouldnt be looking after her, but you'd be checking in for sure, but as I said you got work to do and she will understand that.

Sorry if I sound like a rambling old boy LOL, Im just trying to make you see a way to combat the prob

hope it helps
Jay

# 6 30-09-2011 , 08:18 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
If I'm not feeling too much like sculpting, or modelling... or just not feeling the motivation, which happens a lot to me. I find browsing ZbrushCentral and seeing all the top row work there usually gets me motivated.

Everybody has their 'ZBCentral' somewhere. Where the best of the best post their work, and you can feel nothing but respect and a lot of jealousy towards their work... but most of all you feel motivation to create art at that level!

Gets me motivated anyway user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 7 30-09-2011 , 10:18 PM
+1 to what Jay said.

If you're just a hobbyist, then it shouldn't matter. Work when the mood strikes and consider it a hobby like anything else (watching tv, playing games, etc). If you're serious about it as a career and you have to consistently force yourself, then maybe you're more in love with the "idea" of being a CG artist, rather than actually being one. Advice? Turn off the idiot box and gaming console. Find some challenging projects to work on. Set a goal. Set a deadline. Look at some of the higher end modelers out there and strive for that kind of detail. Practice modeling something out of your comfort zone. Learn other CG areas aside from modeling. You could spend a lifetime learning this stuff.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."

Last edited by NitroLiq; 01-10-2011 at 12:04 AM.
# 8 30-09-2011 , 10:27 PM
Acid44

Im sure she understands and knows you are there for her when the time comes. If you were in a Studio all day you wouldnt be looking after her, but you'd be checking in for sure, but as I said you got work to do and she will understand that.

Absolutely not. She's way too accustomed to me doing everything around here, and if I don't make her something to eat, for example, it will be a few hours till she gets off her ass and does it... I'm having a lot of trouble trying to get her to realise that I'm trying to work (when I actually am) and not just playing all the time.

That post was a bit enlightening though indeed. I got myself a time keeping program thingy (Grindstone 2), it has an egg timer, you can set tasks and time frames for doing them, all that sort of useful stuff. It even bitches at you when you idle for too long user added image

I'm going to start trying to make it more of a 9-5 grind, rather than what I was planning (pretty much just whenever I feel like working, I'd work). Keeping things Maya related when I take breaks sounds like it might help aswell, keep me in the right frame of mind, as you said. I'll give that a shot aswell.

And Mayaniac, Whenever I see amazing works by others it demotivates me, I get too jealous, and just start thinking that I could never be on that level. I'm a pretty negative person user added image

EDIT: You posted as I was writing this, Nitro.

The stage I'm in right now is a trial period for a company that does cars for simulators, going for a position to work on road cars, and road cars modified for the track. At the moment I'm working on a car that will serve as a way to show what I can do as far as a clean flow, efficient use of polygons, etc. The next one will be all that but on the deadline that the clients would have me working on, which is 16 days. So by the time I finish this I have be ready to shift myself into working on it full time. My goal in the end would be a car a week, as that's what the company's lead car modeler is doing, and it would be a lot better money, obviously, than one every 16 days.

Sorry for all the long-winded-ness, I'm just trying to make it easier to understand

Last edited by Acid44; 30-09-2011 at 10:37 PM.
# 9 30-09-2011 , 10:47 PM
Ahh okay, then its down to you to point out that you have work to do.

You have a client??!! dude that would be the absolute motivation, to do the best you can!!! You said you are on a trial, so if you dont impress then no more client, then you'll wonder what the **** happened, and ask why you sat playing games instead.

16 days for a car is generous, sometimes stuff will need to be done quicker much quicker so I would get all the practice in now and win the job good and proper.

Dont be jealous of peoples work, use it as motivation, study the works and ask why is it so good and can you achieve that level - in a nutshell yes you can, put your mind to it.

Dont be the 'nearly' guy, be THE guy!!

Jay

# 10 30-09-2011 , 10:51 PM
Hello, check out pomodoro technique- just Google it.

# 11 30-09-2011 , 11:27 PM
Acid44
The thing that puts me off when I see other people's works is that I start thinking "I could get that exact mesh flow fairly easily" But then I see the smoothed shots, and the renders, and think "But there's no way that mesh flow turned into that render... Hax." Especially when I see the models in the games I'm going to be working with. The amount of magic these guys manage to work with normal angles is amazing. Especially the lead modeler at the company I'm in trial for, the dude manages to pull off photorealistic cars with a 40k poly budget. D:

Thanks a lot for the advice Jay, really helping a ton

I looked up the Pomodoro technique, seems like what I'm planning to do to whip myself in shape, but on a smaller scale. I'm going to go with 1 hour between breaks, and a longer break every 4 hours. Gonna start smaller though to work myself into it, still an hour between breaks, but a longer break every 2 instead.

# 12 01-10-2011 , 12:13 AM

Last edited by edgeWalker; 01-10-2011 at 12:20 AM.
# 13 01-10-2011 , 12:47 AM
Acid44
By their logic an hour seems a lot (didn't read much about it to be honest) but I want it to feel more like a 9-5 job, so I'd rather just take some time every hour to stretch my legs, and then be back to work, as you would in an office (if they're nice enough to let you stretch)

# 14 14-10-2011 , 09:12 PM
19 year Veteran

I had been in a studio for a year that was super busy, but have been at home since july and its now near October. In that time I have helped bring two new tutorials to simply with a 3rd on the way. It does get a bit weird every few days staring at the walls but I try and stick to a daily routine as if I were actually going to work. I get up with my girls as they ready for school and work and I essentially do the same, except I only travel to the PC or laptop depending on what Im doing specifically (the laptop is more powerful than the pc at the moment LOL). The thing is to be totally focused on the task in hand, treat home as if it were the office. Take a break when you would at work, take an hour for lunch, just walk away from the pc get a break.

I thought you where still working for a company Jay, what happened? Did you just want to freelance instead?

# 15 14-10-2011 , 10:19 PM
No mate contracts end unfortunately and dont always roll to the next gig. So I did the Simply 'Alien' tutes.

In a weeks time Im back at a studio in London though on another film

J