Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 13-01-2012 , 10:01 AM

System advice

Hi,
I have been into 3d modelling for almost 9 months now. I have an avarage system which is working fine for modelling and getting still renders. Although it is a little slow for rendering speed i think this system i own is ok for my expectations. In a couple of months i will start travelling. I will stay in 1 place for 5-6 months and than move elsewhere and so on. During that time i don't want to stop my maya and 3d learning process. So i will need a portable system to keep working on modelling. I haven't started learning animation and other aspects of 3d. I am still trying to make an acceptable portfolio in modelling and i think this will keep going for a while. Can you guys help me with deciding a laptop for modelling?

My system currently is:

Intel Core i5 650 3.2ghz
Sapphire 1gb radeon hd 5750
4gb ram

I really don't want to carry a5kg laptop and was wondering if ne ultrabooks can be a solution for me? Is it a bad decision to get an avarage laptop? If so what will be my other options?

Currently checking the new ultrabooks like Asus Zenbook UX31-RSL8 ... But i am really not someone who knows which system works for me... I will buy a laptop in may 2012. So if you guys know any laptops that will be available by that time, it is also wellcome...

# 2 13-01-2012 , 09:30 PM
Technical Director
The MacBook Pros are great for battery life, weight, and graphics. I have absolutely no problems with mine with Maya.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 14-01-2012 , 11:30 AM
They say the new ultrabooks are macbook killers. They have nice processors. But i am curious about the graphics card. I know nothing about Intel HD Graphics 3000. And how they effect things... Hope they release new series by summer.