Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 30-03-2012 , 01:31 AM

Referencing Issues!

Hey Guys.. I was wondering if anyone knows the solution to these issues I'm having with referencing.. any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) When I open the scene file, sometimes some of my objects are only wireframes, even when it's on shading mode. I can always reassign the textures and shaders but it's obviously a bit of a hassle when it sporadically keeps doing it.

2) Sometimes when I re-open the scene file after I have referenced a rig into it, parts of the mesh of the rig go crazy and get all warped.. for instance, the fin of the mermaid is suddenly really fat and her eye ball is translated way off from her face. And only one eyeball! It's the weirdest thing. Because sometimes it works just fine. I don't BELIEVE its the rig because if I delete the reference, and re-reference it and re-pose it, it's totally fine.

Any help would be awesome!

# 2 30-03-2012 , 02:08 AM
Technical Director

Hey Guys.. I was wondering if anyone knows the solution to these issues I'm having with referencing.. any help would be greatly appreciated.

1) When I open the scene file, sometimes some of my objects are only wireframes, even when it's on shading mode. I can always reassign the textures and shaders but it's obviously a bit of a hassle when it sporadically keeps doing it.

2) Sometimes when I re-open the scene file after I have referenced a rig into it, parts of the mesh of the rig go crazy and get all warped.. for instance, the fin of the mermaid is suddenly really fat and her eye ball is translated way off from her face. And only one eyeball! It's the weirdest thing. Because sometimes it works just fine. I don't BELIEVE its the rig because if I delete the reference, and re-reference it and re-pose it, it's totally fine.

Any help would be awesome!

These are hard to debug without having the actual scenes you're working on.

1) It's probably referencing some other shading network, or you have bad history. Blow it away and see if that fixes it.

2) The second one is a bit more difficult. It could be constraints being moved around, things snapping around due to keyframes, etc.

Again, it's very hard to tell what your problem is without the scene files.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 30-03-2012 , 03:40 PM
1) a). Try assigning the default shader to the model, save it and reopen it. Does it still do it?

NO - reassign your texture shader. Save it, reopen it. Does it still do it?
NO - Problem Solved.
YES - Open the texture file in Photoshop and resave it as a Targa or IFF. Jpgs are sometimes problematic. Does it still do it?
No - Problem Solved
YES - Skip ahead to b).
YES - Open the texture file in Photoshop and resave it as a Targa or IFF. Jpgs are sometimes problematic. Reassign the textures/shaders. Does it still do it?
NO - Problem solved.
YES - Go to step b).
1) b). (Assuming you're working in Polygons) Check to see if the Normals are all pointing correctly. Go to Display > Polygons > Face Normals. They should all be pointing away from the surface. If not, select those faces and go to Normals > Reverse. Does it still do it?
NO - Problem solved.
YES - Delete the problematic faces one by one and redo them using the Append to Polygon tool. Resave it and reopen the scene. Does it still do it?
NO - Problem Solved.
YES - It may be that the file got corrupted. Start over.
2) I'm not into rigging so your guess is as good as mine. NextDesign is right though. It's difficult to diagnose those issues without seeing the scene file.

I hope that is helpful.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 4 30-03-2012 , 06:49 PM
Technical Director
Holy crap! Dave! Where have you been?

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 01-04-2012 , 08:40 PM
Thanks for the feedback.. No my normals isn't the issue because the shaders are being removed altogether. If I re-assign them, it works but it's annoying to do all the time. I did forget to mention that it only happens when I make a new render layer and assign a dirt shader (I'm working with VRay) for an AO pass. Then when I jump back to the master layer, some of my geo is completely missing a shader.. no lambert, nothing. Just a see-through wireframe. Does that give you any direction of what the problem could be? Also I use tiff formats for my textures.. although this scene is mainly just shaders. Only a couple textures in the scene.

# 6 07-04-2012 , 05:24 PM
@NextDesign: Read my post in the Mods forum! user added image

@amorgan17: Try using Targas instead. Also, check your texture sizes. Sometimes, if they're too big, Maya will glitch out. Happens all the time at the school I teach at.

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 7 08-04-2012 , 04:06 AM
Lifetime Member
yeh dave...thought I recognised that name!!!! welcome back

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 8 08-04-2012 , 06:46 AM
Thanks!

user added image

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu