Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 10-04-2012 , 12:11 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Finally have a Portfolio!!!

Hello everybody,

I have finally started to finish my portfolio website! So, of course I'm bringing it here for some thoughts and crits. A lot of the images are WIP, just trying to get an idea of what to display. The main pages are pretty much finished, but let me know if anything needs changing.

Haven't posted much work on here recently, but there's plenty of new stuff in the portfolio.

So, please take a look, let me know what you think. And let me know what I can do to improve it.

I'm aiming for a production modelling position, so if anyone who happens to work in that industry **cough**Jay**cough** *wink, wink* *nudge, nudge* wants to lend me some crits.... that would be awesome.

Anyway...

Here she is:

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

...be gentle... she just a wee baby... nah, take it apart user added image lol

Cheers,

Steve

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 2 10-04-2012 , 01:08 AM
Lifetime Member
well done Steve...will bookmark forthwith

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 10-04-2012 , 04:13 AM
Looks very good Steven!

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 4 10-04-2012 , 04:18 AM
Subscriber
Damn man, I like that stuff as much as I envy it.

The website looks great to me, from a quick glance at 5 in the morning on my iPhone. Will return for a proper look, and bookmark.... Later on.

Great stuff. 'the beast' particularly stands out to me from the homepage. Have some questions but will save em for a later post.

# 5 10-04-2012 , 08:28 AM
SM Tea Boy
Nice clean and simple design, straight to the point and easy to use.

I like it.
Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 6 10-04-2012 , 08:46 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi Mayaniac,

Very nice website. Clean and neat, straight to the point.
And very nice work too mate. Really nice.

# 7 10-04-2012 , 09:50 AM
The thin red line
Nice work Steve, look forward to seeing more content, no crits here.............dave

# 8 10-04-2012 , 10:49 AM
The Nurb Herd
looks good, not a fan of the signature tho, bit cheesy. work is really great. Maybe you should include work eligibility if you can work in the US and UK. (if you are willing to relocate) Also, I wouldn't bother putting down Tesco as work experience its irrelevant.
What do you mean production? production is on set filming. post-production is VFX.

Last edited by honestdom; 10-04-2012 at 10:58 AM.
# 9 10-04-2012 , 10:51 AM
Super Moderator
Very nice indeed. Sleek, simple, no bs design and quality over quantity. No crits here. I just hope you don't get "Dale Williams-ed".

- Genny
# 10 10-04-2012 , 11:43 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Very nice indeed. Sleek, simple, no bs design and quality over quantity. No crits here. I just hope you don't get "Dale Williams-ed".

@bullet1968: Cheers man.

@ctbram: Thanks, much appreciated.

@ben: Cheers. Yeah, ask any questions you have.

@David: Thank you!

@cgisoul: Thank you very much, most appreciated.

@dave: Thanks mate. Yeah, will be uploading more stuff as I finish it.

@Dom: Cheers. I wasn't too sure if the sig worked. I just had to fill a couple of holes. I'll yank them down. And consider Tesco gone too. And yeah, I meant VFX post-production. I'll edit the text. Thanks a lot for looking over it all user added image Really helps.

@Gen: Cheers! Not sure what "Dale Williams-ed" is. A google search turned up a footballer. Though, I'm sure there's something obvious I missed. user added image

Thanks again all, revisions forthcoming.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 11 10-04-2012 , 04:19 PM
Subscriber
'Production' is ok, depends where you're applying..

In game and animation studios modelling and animation is considered production (modelling is often even considered pre-production and animation is production as it is the longest part of a project) and editing and sfx is considered post-production.

It's no big deal though, everybody knows what you mean. Btw. the portfolio looks great, somebody better give you a jobuser added image and I agree you should leave out Tescos and AJ's as it's not relevant. If you want to make it seem like you have more experience you can list the clients you did the freelance for and what you did (especially if they're known, but even if they're not). This is more for a cover letter, but you might also offer to send references/recommendation from past clients if the potential employer want to see them.

GL!

# 12 10-04-2012 , 04:37 PM
The Nurb Herd
Sorry just to clarify, i was talking about VFX being called post-production. Don't know about 2D animation or games.
Also, when you start applying for jobs, you might find that lots of places have started using online application forms.

# 13 10-04-2012 , 06:54 PM
I think the work looks fantastic, but your not showing it off enough.

The layout is a bit old.

Have a look at this. https://www.andrewklein.net/

Its just a bit more simple. Id do away with that contact bar on the side page, put it on another page all on its own.

Graham

# 14 10-04-2012 , 06:56 PM
Lifetime Member
Very nice site. Clean, simple and some killer renders.

One thing I would change though is the sidebar on the right. For me the text just doesn't pop from the background enough making it a little difficult to make out. I'd halo it slightly with a darker shadow just to separate it from the background a little, and possibly reduce the intensity of the background images in those plates as well.

# 15 10-04-2012 , 08:38 PM
Super Moderator
Dale Williams was some guy who had a site with a bunch of ripped off work from various artists some years ago, it was kinda comical really as his "portfolio" contained hundreds if images of wildly varied styles, both 2D and 3D (many of them were instantly recognizable) and his software profficiency and skill set list contained every package you could imagine and even programming in various languages.

There was a digital witch hunt for him on cgtalk, it got way out of control as people started posting his phone number and address. Some people thought he was some 16 year old kid who made a mistake, some thought he was setup, some got really nasty about it as the person went through some trouble to remove watermarks and such. In his case the theft was obvious because of the sheer volume and the fact that he included the really popular renders of the day, but it seemed to have made some of the underexposed artists freak out a bit and post their work around various sites to create records, which is understandable. So sometimes he's referenced when work gets jacked.user added image

- Genny