Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 14-04-2012 , 06:01 PM

Mental ray: Reflections (don't want inside reflection)

Hi there!

As u can see in the attached image, the back of the bubble is reflecting the text + it reflects the HDRI.

Is there a way (i think using a ramp and sampler info) to get rid of the inner reflections or get rid of the reflection at the back of the object??

Grts!

Attached Images
# 2 14-04-2012 , 07:42 PM
Technical Director
Try deleting the back of the sphere.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 15-04-2012 , 05:28 PM
Lifetime Member
Quick question. Do you want any reflections on the inside of the bubbles?

# 4 15-04-2012 , 07:34 PM

Quick question. Do you want any reflections on the inside of the bubbles?

That's the problem i guess. I don't want inside reflections user added image

# 5 16-04-2012 , 08:57 AM
Subscriber
If you re using a mia material, try to tune the Fresnel reflection under BRDF.

# 6 16-04-2012 , 06:13 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi karelvdz

A possible solution or a starting point for one.

Started with a standard mia_x glass material. Added a samplerinfo node, attached the "flippednormal" attribute to the first term of a condition node and mapped one of the condition node out color channels to the reflectivity parameter. I hardcoded the outcolor on the condition node to 1 if true and 0 if false.

Although the sampler/condition nodes removed the reflection on the insides, the toruses were still being reflected in adjacent bubbles. Had to set a low value for the "Use max distance" parameter under advanced reflectivity to get rid of it. The greyish edge around the bubbles are from the "End Color".

On a side track a question for the gurus on the site. I did a test where I simply turned off the "Visible in reflections" attribute on the torus shapes. The reflections of the toruses were suppressed on the inside of the bubble but they are still reflected on the outside of adjacent bubbles. What gives?

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 19-04-2012 , 11:14 AM
Hi PixalZA,

my problem got solved using mia_material_x user added image

I'm now having a render problem (updated both bubble & text material to mia_material_x_passes):

I've made a new renderLayer with 2 contribution maps:
- passBubble
- passText

Now when i watch my passes, i can't see anything in the text Passes.
My bubble pass shows my bubble + the text inside it.

When i move the text out of the bubble it does it correctly.

Can't see to get this fixed.

thx so far!

Hi karelvdz

A possible solution or a starting point for one.

Started with a standard mia_x glass material. Added a samplerinfo node, attached the "flippednormal" attribute to the first term of a condition node and mapped one of the condition node out color channels to the reflectivity parameter. I hardcoded the outcolor on the condition node to 1 if true and 0 if false.

Although the sampler/condition nodes removed the reflection on the insides, the toruses were still being reflected in adjacent bubbles. Had to set a low value for the "Use max distance" parameter under advanced reflectivity to get rid of it. The greyish edge around the bubbles are from the "End Color".

On a side track a question for the gurus on the site. I did a test where I simply turned off the "Visible in reflections" attribute on the torus shapes. The reflections of the toruses were suppressed on the inside of the bubble but they are still reflected on the outside of adjacent bubbles. What gives?