Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 03-09-2012 , 12:24 AM

Combine Help

Ok I have modeled out a side of the face. I then duplicated it in order to get the other side. The dublicat is in the right spot. Once I combine them I can no longer go to sub divisions again. wen before I could. I gives me the message

"Open Script Editor for details. // "

So I went in and it said.

// Warning: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2013/scripts/others/deleteInternalValence2Verts.mel line 25: Nothing is selected. Select objects or components to delete. //
// Error: line 1: Command polyToSubdiv failed. Open Script Editor for details. //

Anyone have any suggestions. Thanks for reading this.

Wader

# 2 03-09-2012 , 02:37 AM
The error message indicates that it is trying to delete internal verts with a valance of 2 (these are verts that have a total of two edges flowing in/out of the vertex).

You can generally select all the INTERNAL verts in your entire mesh and press the delete key and this should only delete internal valence 2 verts. You need to avaoid selecting verts at the corners of border edges and so that is why I say select only the internal verts.

Another way would be to use the polygon menu select>select using constraints..., and select verts with a min/max of 2. This will highlight all the valence 2 verts and you can then clean them up.

Another way would be to use the mesh clean and clean non-manifold geometry.

Below is a screen shot to help you understand what a valence 2 vert is. I have created a cube and intentionally added a vert on one of the edges. I then used the select>select by constraint to highlight the v2 vert. Select by constraint would not be necessarily for a model so simple but on a more complex model seeing insternal verts is not so easy.

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 03-09-2012 , 06:40 AM
Thanks for your help still doesn't work.

I have tried the following things:
Cleaned mesh with everything on.
Cleaned mesh with only non-manifold geometry on
Cleaned mesh before I put them togeather.
Put a selection box around the whole mesh (in vert) and hit delete
Used constaint tool

What I find strange.
I can convert is easily before the combine and can't after. I can convert both before

Again thanks for your help

Wader

# 4 03-09-2012 , 07:25 AM
Silly question but you are deleting history correct?

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 03-09-2012 , 07:26 AM
If you continue to have problems. Save the mesh as a .ma and zip it up and upload it to the site or mail it to me and I will see what is going on for you.

# 6 03-09-2012 , 07:43 AM
Thanks man I will work on it tonight and if I don't get it working I will upload it. And Yes I did delete the history.

Last edited by Wader; 03-09-2012 at 07:44 AM. Reason: opps forgot something
# 7 03-09-2012 , 05:43 PM

Here it is.

I played around with it alot last night and nothing... Here it is. Just so you doing think its brutal its based on going as fast as I can and only using poor references. I find speed something I really need to work on. but here it is.

https://www.mediafire.com/?crln7562rqf56am

I'm really trying to figure this stuff out so please tell me how you fixed it if you can. Thanks so much for your help!

Last edited by Wader; 03-09-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: just adding more
# 8 03-09-2012 , 09:57 PM
The thin red line
I have had a look at your mesh and it need a good clean up there are to meny ngons (polys with more then 4 sides) also the edge flow is could do with a little work have a look in the topology section to get a better understanding of edge flow............dave

# 9 04-09-2012 , 12:30 AM
Yeah on this mesh its the error that I'm worried about. I know the flow is bad as I really rush through it. I have a better one in the topology section. Anyways thanks for looking at it. It's always nice to hear what peoples thoughts are. Also I started modeling less than a month ago user added image is any suggestions help.

# 10 04-09-2012 , 02:32 AM
I just got back in (it's labor day here and I was out all day). I looked at the model and the topology does need a bit of cleanup.

However, without changing anything, as a test I just simply, mirrored in -x and set the threshold to .001 in case some verts I did not want got merged and then converted from polygon to subd and it worked.

I have attached the file with the mirrored and converted to subd model. I am therefore not sure why you are getting a failure to convert. You might want to try renaming your maya folder to force all the settings back to default and try again. It might be a problem with your preferences.

Rick

Attached Files
File Type: zip shrek_ram.zip (570.2 KB, 181 views)

# 11 04-09-2012 , 05:44 AM
I have now re installed maya and still have the problem. here is my script editor log.

select -r polyToSubd1 ;
select -tgl polyToSubd2 ;
polyUnite -ch 1 -mergeUVSets 1 polyToSubd1 polyToSubd2;
// polySurface1 polyUnite1 //
select -r polySurface1 ;
polyMergeVertex -d 0.01 -am 1 -ch 1 polySurface1;
// polyMergeVert1 //
select -cl ;
select -r polySurface1 ;
deleteInternalValence2Verts |polySurface1|polySurfaceShape17;
polyToSubdiv -ap 0 -ch off -aut on -maxPolyCount 1000 -maxEdgesPerVert 32 |polySurface1|polySurfaceShape17;
// Error: line 1: Command polyToSubdiv failed. Open Script Editor for details. //

Anything? Thanks again for your time

# 12 04-09-2012 , 06:45 AM
The error message says ....

Did you open the script editor and look to see what additional error information there was?

Other then that I am completely out of ideas as I was able to mirror and subdivide the file you sent me with no changes at all. The topology needs a lot of work but it was still able to mirror and convert to subd.

Hopefully, there will be more information in the script editor to help identify the problem.

This however, is one of the reasons that I am constantly railing on Autodesk and Alias before them as they have really let the subd and nurbs tools in Maya go completely to hell. I am sorry that it's crashing for you though, believe me I understand what it is to be in Maya hell where something consistantly and repeatedly crashes on me but seems to work for others and so it's totally ignored by autodesk and people try to imply it's user error when it clearly is NOT!

Last edited by ctbram; 04-09-2012 at 06:52 AM.
# 13 04-09-2012 , 07:13 AM
Yeah looked into the script editor and that is all it says.... Like I said before Thanks so much for your time. I really want you to know I appreciate it. The topology is a gong show for me on this one but I see my errors. I have a post in the topology section and am awaiting responses on a face I did that I took for time.

Anyways I do have another question though is it totally o.k. to more on to blend faces even if you can't use subs?

# 14 04-09-2012 , 07:19 AM
So it gives the error and says open the script editor for more details then gives no details in the script editor?

Sorry I stopped using subd's in maya a long time ago as they simply are TERRIBLE and I have seen this dance before with subd's where you get a message and then no details on the error so you are left scratching your head as to the cause.

It's akin to a yellow light coming on on your dash board of your car and now you have to figure which of the 30 thousand parts in your car has just failed!

Not sure I followed your additional question.

You do not need to use subd to blend faces. Poly smooth or the faster poly smooth preview is currently the modeling method of choice. Subd is primarily used to add additional localized detail to a model. But this has some serious draw backs in Maya, one of which is you cannot revert back to polygons without losing all your subd edits.

If you mean blendshapes then that also does not require subd.

Sorry I could not be more specific as your question seems kind of ambiguous.

Last edited by ctbram; 04-09-2012 at 07:26 AM.
# 15 04-09-2012 , 07:35 AM
no you completely answered it man. I don't know what I think of subs. So far this is my first attempt at using them and well we see how that is going. I think for my sanity I will stop using them and use poly preview. Yes the script editor told me to veiw the script editor...... I like the yellow light in the car analogy it made me laugh!