Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 30-09-2012 , 08:33 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Here's a new render (without caustics to speed it up); do you think this is better?
I think the bubbles are still competing for attention, do you think it would be better if I moved them back and up (so they'd be less in focus)?

I'm also not sure of the position of the sea lion, do you think it should be looking more to its right or to the camera?

user added image

# 17 30-09-2012 , 09:22 PM
The thin red line
Seals are curious creatures and will come straight to the camera so I would go back to your second to last render, I would move the bubbles back as they were comming from the seal and the seal is moving forward I would also put some thing like kelp in the scene to file out said scene........................dave

# 18 30-09-2012 , 09:35 PM
Super Moderator
Better composition but the scene became flat without the god rays. Even though the visibility isn't fading with distance (I'm looking at the ground as a marker), the god rays at least, helped to sell the idea of being underwater.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny

Last edited by GecT; 30-09-2012 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Image attachment issues >.>
# 19 01-10-2012 , 03:30 PM
Lifetime Member
good effort mate.....if he/she was in Australia it would be looking behind it....as a Great White nails it LOL...sorry made just a joke. The Great Whites here in Western Australia seem to have changed diet to human.

Personally I would agree with dave, can you get the bubbles to follow a curve going behind the seal to give the illusion of movement? The rock might need a bit of work...some porous looking and yeh some kelp would set it off nicely...or some seagrass. Keep it up mate....

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 20 04-10-2012 , 06:02 PM
He's beautiful.

I might add some murk to the water and some particles, subtle the "god"rays, don't get rid of them, , but really I'd murk it up just a weeeee a bit. But it's a solid image. it's really there from where you started...which was neat to begin with. but this is looking really pro brother..

# 21 04-10-2012 , 09:16 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Sorry for the confusion but the god rays were part of the caustics, I just removed them to speed up the render to get an idea of the framing.

I've done a small render to get a better idea. This is basically the same as the first render, only with different positioning and no colour correction. Do you think the god rays are too strong (it might be better to judge from the first image since I will probably alter it in PS again (although perhaps not quite as much)?
I also wonder if the sea lion should be a bit closer to the camera.

user added image

# 22 04-10-2012 , 09:36 PM
EduSciVis-er
I personally like it a bit desaturated. You'll notice water does that a fair bit.

# 23 05-10-2012 , 05:43 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I tried a bit of colour correction like with the first one, but less saturated. What do you think?
I wonder if it's too blue. I'm definitely starting to think the god rays are too strong.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by elephantinc; 05-10-2012 at 05:45 PM.
# 24 05-10-2012 , 10:41 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Needs some form of shadow, theres too much FG/Gi or what ever you are using so theres no key light in the scene giving that effct. Have another look at the seal image posted earlier.......

J

# 25 09-10-2012 , 08:38 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I have a new lighting set up, is this better?

Attached Thumbnails
# 26 09-10-2012 , 08:50 PM
There's something ineffable that was lost between the last one and the one you just did. It's such a fine balance. I think, if you'll allow me, this is how I see some of what might help...

I think the ground webs were better in the previous. they're lost now. Too nice a detail to lose. I think what needs to be done is a bright light through a murkier mix of water. The one glaring thing that's speaking to me is the lion itself being too clear (poppy) over all, even though I think you're going for DOF.

God rays are too "washy" I think when compared to the previous version. They should be grainier vs brushy and dense. Also, a little too uniform coming from a center, above-water point of origin throws off the dynamics of the shot. I would angle them in at a diagonal.

What I really think would benefit are some floating fg particles, racked with a few picking up the sparkle (see Finding Nemo- I know it's cartoony, but the lighting levels in that film would really assist.)

I know I'm not a Maya pro yet, but artistically I have some BG in those things traditionally and that would be my input. Its a very tight piece. I think you can really take it to the next level.

Hope that helps. What are you using for ref btw?

TC

Last edited by TravisCowsill; 09-10-2012 at 08:52 PM.
# 27 09-10-2012 , 09:44 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Before adding particles, fog and so on, sort the lighting out. The added atmospherics are the cause of the murk at the moment.

J

# 28 09-10-2012 , 10:42 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Before adding particles, fog and so on, sort the lighting out. The added atmospherics are the cause of the murk at the moment.

J

What kind of setup do you suggest for the lighting? I really don't know much about it. At the moment the caustics are coming from a spot light, and the sun is provided by a directional light.

There's something ineffable that was lost between the last one and the one you just did. It's such a fine balance. I think, if you'll allow me, this is how I see some of what might help...

I think the ground webs were better in the previous. they're lost now. Too nice a detail to lose. I think what needs to be done is a bright light through a murkier mix of water. The one glaring thing that's speaking to me is the lion itself being too clear (poppy) over all, even though I think you're going for DOF.

God rays are too "washy" I think when compared to the previous version. They should be grainier vs brushy and dense. Also, a little too uniform coming from a center, above-water point of origin throws off the dynamics of the shot. I would angle them in at a diagonal.

What I really think would benefit are some floating fg particles, racked with a few picking up the sparkle (see Finding Nemo- I know it's cartoony, but the lighting levels in that film would really assist.)

I know I'm not a Maya pro yet, but artistically I have some BG in those things traditionally and that would be my input. Its a very tight piece. I think you can really take it to the next level.

Hope that helps. What are you using for ref btw?

TC

Thanks a lot for the help, I think you're right about the various caustic effects. I never thought of looking at finding nemo for reference.

I'm not using one specific photo for reference. For the most part I'm using a book of photographs from the Natural history museum called Wild Planet that has a few really nice underwater shots in it (https://prints.nhmshop.co.uk/index.cf...t&startAt=31); I can't find most of them online but I particularly like this one (although it isn't entirely what I'm after): https://prints.nhmshop.co.uk/art/3819...an_snorkelling)
This is the best I could find of another but it's so small it may not be possible to see the kind of lighting I'm after.

# 29 18-07-2013 , 10:28 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
Hi everyone, long time no se(e)a lion pun
I think I'm getting a lot better idea of what I want the final image to be.
I still plan on adding a few things, like some vegetation, some kind of dirty particles in suspension, maybe some disturbed sand and some fish. I also think I might change the bubble significantly, giving them a bit more entropy. I'm still tweaking the god ray caustics too (I separated it from the water pattern set up to give me a lot more control because it was the main thing I was struggling with before), I might make them stronger but with a faster decay and I also need to make it so that I don't end up with a blue circle on the sea bed (I'm not sure how I'll do that yet without changing the angle of the rays, any suggestions?).
The main thing I'm looking for is feedback on the new lighting set up and framing.
I've included a version without DoF below too because I'm not sure how I feel about including it yet (I might at least more the effect less severe). I also haven't quite decided on blue vs white caustics, but I'll probably just try a few things when I get closer to the final image.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by elephantinc; 18-07-2013 at 10:57 PM.
# 30 15-08-2013 , 11:29 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
A few changes, I've added a bit of vegetation and some particulates, along with lighting changes. One thing I'm struggling with is the the colour balance on my monitors. On one I thought I had a lighting set up I liked but on the other it looked far too green and if I look it on something else it's too dark. Does anyone have any good suggestions for managing this? I have such difficultly making both monitors look the same, let alone similar to the rest of the world. At any rate, having checked the latest renders on multiple monitors I think I still want to make some lighting changes, I'm just that those changes vary dramatically depending on what I look at them on, the three differently balanced ones were attempts to make the render look its best on three different screens. I'm still not sure how I feel about the DOF still.

Attached Thumbnails