Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 76 10-03-2013 , 11:37 AM
SM Tea Boy
Dave the link works just fine for me maybe you're having a bad internet day user added image

Loving the extra detailing btw

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 77 10-03-2013 , 12:11 PM
The thin red line
David there some thing wrong my side of things I cannot load from link but can load from youtube, nice added detail misterjackson I hope you dont get to carried away, did you finish the hanger...................dave

# 78 15-03-2013 , 08:59 AM
Senior Animator - Sumo Digital
Thanks all, and Dave, to answer your question. No, I didn't. I have so little time to work on this project, I had to prioritise. Even then I got sidetracked with the modelling. Things I want to do. Complete the modelling, exterior and interior. UV mapping and texturing. Complete the animation, for both the machine and the pilot, create clothes for the pilot, simulate clothes with cloth simulation. Composite final animation in video footage.
I'm lucky if I get to spend 3 hours a week working on it. Gripes about time aside, I'm still enjoying it.

Here's a very hi res 4k square render of the progress.
Click me

And low res ...

Attached Thumbnails
# 79 15-03-2013 , 01:08 PM
The thin red line
The detail is nice not to sure I like the glass on the cockpit to thick...............dave

# 80 16-03-2013 , 11:37 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Firstly I gotta say I avoided this thread entirely purely because of its title, 'Building a mech'.

I just thought 'yet another mech' to add to the copious amounts on other forums along with giant space marines and so on.

Anyway today I thought let me have a look as its 6 pages long so it better be worth my time LOL....and I wasnt disappointed.

Really really, Great job all round user added image next time just do something a bit more imaginative with the title LOL user added image

Jay

# 81 16-03-2013 , 12:24 PM
EduSciVis-er
Jay, hasn't anyone ever said to you, don't judge a book by its cover? :p
I've been very much enjoying this thread too. It's rare you get to see someone take a concept through to animation and make something really neat to watch.
I'd agree with Dave too, the glass is the only thing that looks a bit off. Maybe it's special coated glass, but it looks like it would be hard to see out of.

# 82 16-03-2013 , 10:07 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Stwert, er yeah, but with the amount of mechs and marines over the years, it does get tiresome.

I think the glass is supposed to be reflecting the inside as if it were lit up?? probably could do with toning back a tad

Jay

# 83 18-03-2013 , 12:30 PM
Subscriber
That is beautiful
I'd love to see it as a physical model.

Great job, Great design great execution....

George

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 84 18-03-2013 , 12:40 PM
Lifetime Member
I actually like the glass on the cockpit. It's different from the usual glass. Something like HALO or those motorbike helmets with chameleon wind shield.

# 85 19-03-2013 , 07:05 AM
Many thanks for all your constructive and kind comments. It's this sort of feedback that keeps me going user added image

Dave, yes the glass is odd, in that render it has no thickness, so it's just a solid block. The truth is my knowledge has gaps, a lot of this stuff I'm working out as I progress, so you're seeing it warts and all!

Again, many thanks for your time and comments.
I have a slight update, I've reconfigured the glass on the canopy, it now has a low split. This was mainly because when it opened it passed through the body of the model, I wasn't so keen so I wanted to address it, not entirely sure it's my end solution! Some minor additions in detail.
Cheers all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8MYZZ3q8Gg

PS. Jay, apologies for the lack of an inspirational title. I will attempt to address it in the future. user added image

# 86 21-03-2013 , 04:56 AM
Subscriber
I watched your short animation of the pilot climbing into the cockpit and the mech taking a few steps again. One thing i think, might could be tweaked for your the sequence if you plan to move on that again, Is the amount of movement from the mech that i presume comes from the pilots weight. I don't think that a man weighing what, 170 lbs? would have that much effect on the unit as he climbed in. Perhaps watch some videos of people climbing in and out of a back hoe, or better yet a Skid steer, since they actually have to step into the bucket to get into the cab. ( look for like Bobcat, or New Holland to see the skid steer) and see how much bounce there is on those units and use that as a reference.

George

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 87 21-03-2013 , 07:06 AM
George - You're totally right. It's really only in the early stages, when animating I tend to do what I like to call "broad brush strokes" - then when I've lived with it a while I start to refine it. You references sound interesting, although I'd have to admit I will need to google them in order to find out what they are user added image
A physical model is something I'd very much like to investigate when I have it at a stage where I'm happy with the model.
Thanks for you critique.

# 88 17-04-2013 , 03:16 PM