Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 17-05-2013 , 08:58 PM

Extruding letters

I'm in the process of extruding letters from 2d polygon surfaces. Sometimes it doesn't work properly and rather than be a proper extrusion along the z axis the edges end up all jacked up and the extrusion is lopsided. Is there a way to properly extrude only in the z axis?

# 2 17-05-2013 , 09:15 PM
EduSciVis-er
Have you tried changing the extrude manipulator from local to global? Click the little blue Q circle thing.

# 3 19-05-2013 , 08:24 AM

Have you tried changing the extrude manipulator from local to global? Click the little blue Q circle thing.

All it seems to do is create two 2d letters when I attempt to extrude.

# 4 19-05-2013 , 10:41 AM
Noober than noob

I'm in the process of extruding letters from 2d polygon surfaces. Sometimes it doesn't work properly and rather than be a proper extrusion along the z axis the edges end up all jacked up and the extrusion is lopsided. Is there a way to properly extrude only in the z axis?

Try extrude command (do not use the manipulators) and then press W to switch to move manipulator and pull it along the Z axis.

Also, if you are trying to extrude out of the text that has been created, combine objects. Then select the surface mode, select all surfaces. Extrude. Press R and scale it on the axis you need it extruded. That's how I make 3D text.
Then separate the objects / letters when you're done.

Last edited by SilverFeather; 19-05-2013 at 11:20 AM.