Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 26-05-2013 , 09:28 PM

Completely new here.

I want to get into 3D animation, and Maya seems like the best choice. I'd like to start making my own animation shorts/mini-shows because I think it's something I'd really enjoy doing. Right now, I want it to be a hobby not a career. I'm 18 and really have no experience with programming, do you need to know code for Maya? Python, C++, does it matter? What is the best way to learn Maya, any good books/classes for complete beginners? I'm serious about doing this so please post some good information or advice. Now I think is a great time for me to start learning, I'm graduating high school next week and have the rest of the year (summer and delaying college for a semester) to dedicate to learning this. Excited to be here user added image

# 2 26-05-2013 , 09:39 PM
The thin red line
No you don't need to know code but it some times helps if you do, I would to start learning animation first from the net the free tutorial they are not the best but will help you ask the correct questions when you need help next, best way to learn would be doing projects not just going along with a tutorial and have fun...............dave

# 3 27-05-2013 , 12:31 AM
Super Moderator
Hi Ambie,

Welcome to the world of Maya. There are indeed lots and lots of learning material out there, some of it's free and well, since anybody can upload anything, be prepared to learn how to tie your shoelaces a few times user added image. If you have to repeat a tutorial eight times before you're happy with the result then so be it. Check out the stuff on this site and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Also, I feel the need to say this because I've dealt with it and I know others who have. You'll be tempted to go really big with your projects in the beginning (who doesn't want to see their dream project finished right?), you'll learn a lot and you'll also get pretty frustrated (heh, you're going to get frustrated even when taking tiny steps) and maybe you'll get a little demotivated. Don't worry about that, come back to it when you can. Create small projects to apply what you've learned and if you're comfortable getting feedback, post it here!

As Daverave said, you don't need to know any scripting/programming language, they can make your life easier but I wouldn't worry about it.

- Genny
# 4 27-05-2013 , 10:49 PM
Great! I'm excited to learn - but just not sure what version of Maya to download. My computer is pretty old, I don't think it will be able to handle any of the newer versions, so what would be good for me? How different is each version from each other? Say if I'm able to upgrade to a newer version, how hard will it be to learn and adjust to the new tools/features/technology?

# 5 28-05-2013 , 09:00 AM

I want to get into 3D animation, and Maya seems like the best choice. I'd like to start making my own animation shorts/mini-shows because I think it's something I'd really enjoy doing. Right now, I want it to be a hobby not a career. I'm 18 and really have no experience with programming, do you need to know code for Maya? Python, C++, does it matter? What is the best way to learn Maya, any good books/classes for complete beginners? I'm serious about doing this so please post some good information or advice. Now I think is a great time for me to start learning, I'm graduating high school next week and have the rest of the year (summer and delaying college for a semester) to dedicate to learning this. Excited to be here user added image

Generally no knowledge of programming is needed except for some specialized cases like creating plugins. Maya I think has a specialized scripting language. IMO due to quirks Maya is harder to learn than programming but that is a trait that seems to be shared by all the major fullfeature 3d software.

Great! I'm excited to learn - but just not sure what version of Maya to download. My computer is pretty old, I don't think it will be able to handle any of the newer versions, so what would be good for me? How different is each version from each other? Say if I'm able to upgrade to a newer version, how hard will it be to learn and adjust to the new tools/features/technology?

The usual modus operandi is to release a new version with a few additional/improved features every year. The previous stuff doesn't generally change. This ancient layercake approach is part of the reason I feel maya is a little tricky to learn but it is what it is.