Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 12-02-2014 , 12:35 PM

how to offset imported Animation

Hi guys!

I am just learning Maya and I cannot find solution to this (surely simple) issue
I have made a quick human animation in DAZ Studio and exported as FBX.

It imports perfectly into Maya, animation, texture etc. is there.

However, I cannot move the character AWAY from its position.
he is where he was placed in DAZ, and if I move him, he jumps back when animation starts.

so character is kind of stuck.
and me, too. : ))

I could offset in the original software, but there must be a way to do it in Maya, and I need to learn it.

All the transform channels are red, I guess it means keyframed ?
But if I change anything, move skeleton only, or mesh only, doesn't matter, it jumps back.
I tried checking-unckeking "inherit transforms" - I am not sure if that has anything to do with this.
So how do you offset already animated character?

I attached a simple image.

I appreciate any quick help!
Thank you!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 12-02-2014 , 12:43 PM
In the meantime, I found one way to do it - not sure if this is the best - as it still produces problems.

I managed to do offset animation with graph editor, but the character's mesh and the skeleton are moved differently, they don't stay together.
I attach image to this one as well.
it does't affect animation, but why are they moved separately, and I am concerned this will result in future problems.

How do you keep them together?

So both first question and this second issue is still open, please help if you can drop a quick line!
Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 12-02-2014 , 03:16 PM
Technical Director
The issue is indeed with the keyframes. Once the animation starts, it looks up the location specified by the keyframe and snaps to that location. There are two things you can do to fix this.

1) As you have already found, offset the keyframes in the graph editor. When you do this, grab only the root joint of the skeleton, and modify its translation curves.

or

2) Group the skeleton, then use this group to offset it.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.