Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 04-09-2012 , 07:43 AM
Yeah, I think someone like Jay could give you a more balanced opinion of subd's myself I am not really happy with the state of either Maya subd's or nurbs.

My professional background is nurbs based hard surface modeling and in maya the nurbs tools are so unstable that they are practically unusable. You can get them to work you just have to learn and remember a host of special conditions and constraints that are specific to maya nurbs and no other nurbs package on earth. That is why most modelers consign maya nurbs to just making basic shapes and then converting to polys and pushing and pulling verts. It's a shame really because nurbs are really powerful and it's almost a crime that marketing people simply seem to have had both nurbs and subd's just cobbled into maya so they could check a box on a product comparison chart lol.

You can still get a lot done with maya nurbs though. Subd's on the other hand I have not really found any really stable use for them simply because if you are ever forced to go back to polygons you lose ALL you subd edits and this is bad if working independently but if you are working collaboratively this would be a complete disaster! Imagine someone three steps up the pipeline converting back to poly and all the subd edits go away! lol

With nurbs you can create extremely accurate and complex compound surface shapes and can cut any shaped holes into surfaces and add precise fillets and rounds. With the power of some of the current retopologizing applications like 3dcoat, you can then convert the nurbs patches to a dense polymesh and import them and then retopo to create a new clean poly mesh with proper topology (unless you are a uber modeler like Jay and can create a polymesh of infinite complexity in one shot without the need to retopo). haha

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 04-09-2012 at 07:58 AM.
# 17 04-09-2012 , 09:02 AM
The thin red line
I would give subD's a miss in maya they seam to have problems that have not been fixed, polys with bump,displacement or normal maps work fine for organic.............dave

# 18 07-09-2014 , 10:06 AM
Hello everybody,

It looks like I'm having the same issues with my model as Wader. When I try to convert poly to subdiv I get the following message from the Script Editor: "deleteInternalValence2Verts |L_zabac|L_zabac;
polyToSubdiv -ap 0 -ch off -aut on -maxPolyCount 2000 -maxEdgesPerVert 32 |L_zabac|L_zabac;
// Warning: Nothing is selected. Select objects or components to delete. //
// Error: Command polyToSubdiv failed. Open Script Editor for details. // ".
I think I have internal vertex or vertices. Then I selected my mesh, press F9 and opened Select Using Constraints. In the options for Constrain I selected All and Next and in the Neighbors I selected Activate and set Min and Max to 2, but I can't see internal vertices. I didn't have this problem until I added few faces on my mesh. Before that, poly to subdiv conversion went well. So I'm puzzled user added image

# 19 07-09-2014 , 02:31 PM
If you select all the vertices and press delete all verts with valence 2 should be deleted. Be careful of outer corner verts.

By the way using selection constraint as you describe should have also worked but selection consttaint can sometimes be confusing... Do EXACTLY this....

1. Deselect EVERYTHING
2. Select>Select using constraints
3. reset>disable all
4. then
select the current and next radio button
twirl down Geometry>Neighbors
set min and max to 2
check activate
5. choose select verts and drag a selection box around the entire model

It should only select verts with valence of exactly 2

Alternatively, you can select all the verts in the model first and then start at step 2

Maya will remember these settings so remember to reset>disable all or just click the nothing radio button when you are done. even after resetting maya will remember the min max values you entered. The select by constraint tool was one of the most confusing tools in Maya for me when I was learning. I still have to fiddle with it and read the manual page half the time when I try to use it.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 07-09-2014 at 04:52 PM.
# 20 07-09-2014 , 04:57 PM
Lifetime Member

Yes the script editor told me to view the script editor...... I like the yellow light in the car analogy it made me laugh!

yes it means look directly above that and see what it says. The most common reason for this message when converting to sub-d is that in the convert options your max poly limit is too low and needs to be set higher.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 21 07-09-2014 , 06:38 PM
Yes reading the message again I see it's not complaining about valence two verts that is just part of the subd command.

Jsprog is most likely correct in that you need to increase the poly limit for the poly to subd tool which form the command line is currently at 2000 which is pretty small. As I recall the default used to be 3000 and that used to fail a lot for me.

This would also explain why select by constraint was not finding any valence 2 verts.

Last edited by ctbram; 07-09-2014 at 08:22 PM.
# 22 07-09-2014 , 08:03 PM
Ctbram, I applied clean non-manifold geometry, then convert poly to subdiv command. I left Max base mesh faces to 2000, because my model has just over 1600 faces and it worked. Now, I'm in back to modeling user added image: Thank you both for helping me out user added image

# 23 28-09-2014 , 04:15 PM
I am having problems when transferring poly to subdiv. I would appreciate if anyone would take a look at my file user added image

Attached Files
File Type: zip Zabac_subd.zip (59.5 KB, 155 views)
# 24 28-09-2014 , 11:25 PM
You have inverted faces on the interior of the mouth. I flipped the polygons and then was able to convert to subd.

To see the inverted faces uncheck two sided lighting in the lighting tab.

I also attached some screen shots. You can see that there is a border edge around where you created the mouth sack. This is usually an indication of flipped polys. By turning off two-sided lighting you can see in one of the images that the interior polys are indeed flipped.

By flipping them I was able to convert to subd.

NOTE:
I was surprised to see that cleanup did not catch this as these poly are non-manifold. But I confirmed that maya cleanup failed to report these properly. GG autodesk.

Attached Files
File Type: zip zabac_fixed.zip (305.5 KB, 170 views)

Last edited by ctbram; 28-09-2014 at 11:32 PM.
# 25 29-09-2014 , 12:35 AM
Lifetime Member
Okay took a look at it and to be honest i couldn't find a whole lot wrong with it, there were some reversed Normals but i could not find any stray vertices as the script editor suggested in the error. i broke the model down into bits and converted the individual pieces they all worked so reconnected the geo as one and upped the max poly count and managed to convert the whole thing.

Here is a fixed file with Normals right ect...

CT you old dog we posted at the same time ..lol oh well two files is better than one user added image

Attached Files
File Type: zip Zabac_subd_Fixed.zip (72.5 KB, 152 views)

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner

Last edited by jsprogg; 29-09-2014 at 12:37 AM.
# 26 29-09-2014 , 02:11 PM
Thanks a lot to ctbram and jsprogg on your help, it means a lot to me. I downloaded both of your file and something strange happens when I open them. Here is the screen shot. I dont know what is wrong, but ignore version is checked in the open file options.

Attached Thumbnails
# 27 29-09-2014 , 07:56 PM
strange but no matter. just look at the screen shots I had in my zip file and invert the flipped polys inside the mouth sack and everything should be fine.,