Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 22-12-2015 , 03:04 AM

Texture Mapping issues

Hi, I'm a newbie here and to Maya in general, had a class with it, but didn't really get enough information to stick.

I'm having an issue where when I import my textures to the mesh, it messes up on my laptop and maps incorrectly, but when at my college, it maps totally fine. The only difference I noticed was that they have Maya 2016 installed and I have 2015.

So as you see in the image, the first image on the left is what happens when I import the texture normally, underneath that is what happens when I flip the UVS, and underneath that is what happens when I normalize the UVS. I think the other one at the bottom is Rotated.

To the right, the first image is how the model renders in the render image screen. And finally, underneath that is how it renders on a computer with Maya that isn't mine.

It must be a setting, but I just don't know what.

What do you guys think about this?

user added image

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

# 2 22-12-2015 , 06:31 AM
Subscriber
Hi, it happened with me as well.
Most probably the mesh is using a different UV-set than the one you have prepared.
To correct this you should try under Windows => Relationship Editors => UV Linking.
You can do the same also under UV => UV Editor => UV Sets.

# 3 22-12-2015 , 07:31 AM
Hi, thanks for replying. I actually did have a ton of UV sets, but all except one named map1 even look like the set I was using. The problem is that it looks like only the painted uvs I did and when I go to it, it still has a mixed up look like what I showed in the images.

# 4 22-12-2015 , 11:17 AM
Subscriber
could you delete the unused UV sets?

# 5 22-12-2015 , 11:20 AM
Subscriber
can you upload the model?

# 6 22-12-2015 , 07:00 PM

Last edited by BahamutAXIOM; 22-12-2015 at 07:13 PM.
# 7 23-12-2015 , 04:26 AM
Subscriber
Could you export the model as obj file?

# 8 23-12-2015 , 08:36 AM
# 9 23-12-2015 , 05:54 PM
Subscriber
Hi, thanks!

I just loaded model and texture file.
The model has only triangular faces, so I guess you imported it from somewhere else?
Looking at the UV-Map in the editor it shows, that the UV's have not been laid out.
The faces laying on top of each other. I did a screenshot. The picture shows meshes with red, blue and purple surfaces. Means the direction of the faces normal is different (blue is one orientation, red its the opposite direction), where you see purple you have overlapping faces.
I would recommend
1. Check some youtube courses for UV Mapping. For example https://youtu.be/HLhazEa8wmw.
2. I hope you have the bonus tools for Maya 2016, which comes with a helpful tool for unfolding the UV's. If not you should load it from Autodesk site.
3. Try to remodel or re-export with 4 sided faces only. This makes the model more clean and workable esp. also for UV-Mapping

Hope it user added images, best regards and MERRY CHRISTMAS! user added imageuser added imageuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 23-12-2015 , 10:04 PM
Thanks for replying. One more question. Why do you think the UVS align on another computer. I would assume this would affect all versions of Maya?

# 11 24-12-2015 , 04:12 AM
Subscriber
Yes, it should be the same in all versions of Maya. To understand the problem fully you should describe, how you developed the model and texture and show how it was on other computer. Check out also Dave's tutorial about modelling and texturing of the dragon figures here in Simply Maya

# 12 24-12-2015 , 11:22 PM
Thanks for being so patient with me.

I'm confused because on the image I uploaded, the image with the black background is how it rendered on the other computer.

For how I made the model, I sculpted it in a program called Sculptris, found I had FAR too many triangles, reduced the character itself from some million triangles to about 5800. Same for the attachments to the character, except with a much smaller count.

When it was imported into Maya, there were lots of uneven triangles.

I then exported each mesh (about 6 meshes in total) as an obj for Maya, reduced all and combined each on top of the character model to 6000 triangles, then moved the right leg slightly forward and rotated it slightly. Cut the UVs, it rendered how I wanted it on another computer (like in the picture in the bottom right corner), but when trying the same uv map and model on my own computer, I get messed up results (like all pictures on the left)

# 13 26-12-2015 , 03:51 PM
Subscriber
Can you try to export on the other computer as obj and then attach the texture once more?

# 14 26-12-2015 , 06:35 PM
I found out the issue. I had a duplicate of the mesh with different UV mapping. I should've known. Thanks for all your help.

# 15 27-12-2015 , 09:07 AM
Subscriber
Hahaha! Simple cause for complicated issue. Finally wrong UV map match ;-)