Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 13-02-2022 , 08:58 PM

linking/mirroring camera movements

Hi,

What would be the best way of linking two cameras together so that one mirrors the movements of the other?

So far, I've tried connecting the translate and rotate values from cam1 (the 'master camera') to cam2 (the 'slave camera'), using a reverse node between translate Z so that cam2 moves away from cam1. This works well, and cam2 effectively acts like a 'mirror' image.

Rotate proved to be a bit more tricky. I haven't been able to work out the Y rotate connection so that cam2 looks towards roughly the same spot as cam1 from the 'other' side. As soon as I connected the two Y inputs, it spun cam2 around so that it was facing the same way as cam1 - correct behaviour, but not what I'm after. My fix was to inverse scale cam2 on X and Z - it sorta works but it's screwed up the viewport, and rotate gets kinda funky with some weird gimbal shit going on.

Next, I tried grouping the cameras (into their own separate groups) and connected the translate and rotate values of the groups instead. This seems to be more robust, but the major annoyance with this method is that I keep selecting and moving cam1 instead of its group, which screws up the relationship. Also, I can't use the viewport to look through and move cam1 either as this does the same thing, i.e. moves the camera and not the group.

Can anyone suggest the best way to connect these cameras together so that I get this mirrored movement?

Thanks

J