Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 31 11-09-2002 , 09:56 AM
Kevin
i know I have replied to this post before ....but I love this little charactor!!

awesome mushroom.. If you are not going to use him for commercial work, I might steal it for my avatar user added image

# 32 11-09-2002 , 05:48 PM
Subscriber
thanks all, its great when feedback is so positive!!, im normaly unsure when to post somthing because im never sure if its anygood.. so thanks user added image

robertstarr, the lighting i use was 3-point light setup, with the light behind the alien turned up to create the rim light around him
heres a good tut.
https://www.3drender.com/light/3point.html
theres also a book called Digital Lighting and Rendering ( worth buying ).

and heres an image that will hopfully help if you want to create specular bloom effects..

if you have anymore probs (or the image makes no sence ) please let me know

Kevin, thanks glad you like him!!!! if you want to use him for you avitar i dont mind... as long as if anyone asks you say that i did it, which but im sure you would anyway user added image

Monsters! Monsters from the id!
# 33 12-09-2002 , 09:00 AM

your specular bloom

Cool, that's a nice way to do it in post... Does anyone know of a way to get it straight out of the renderer?

NP if not, it just means a heap of rendering to layers etc (Maya can render out just the speculars etc as a seperate pass that can be used in post later I've been told)....

Thanks again....

Rob Starr
https://10secondclub.org

# 34 12-09-2002 , 05:20 PM
Subscriber
maya can do it in the renderer, but its alot of work user added image

my method ( which is the same method as the guy whos making Lots Of Robots ) is ( i think anyway) the best way to do it, you can always get just the right amount to glow, no test renderers are needed user added image

NP if not, it just means a heap of rendering to layers etc (Maya can render out just the speculars etc as a seperate pass that can be used in post later I've been told)....

sorry, this is my mistake user added image...

when i say layers i mean Photoshop/after effects layers, theres no need to render out ( spec/deffuse) layers in maya, just one image per frame

if you look at my image you will ( hopfully ) see that image 2 was created by applying levels in photoshop to image 1..

christ im crap at writing tuts...iv just reread what i wrote, and even i dont understand it anymore user added image

Monsters! Monsters from the id!
# 35 13-09-2002 , 07:53 AM

layered rendering

I understand that using threshold etc in PS can get the highlight needed. I think it's a better option to tell maya to render the original image AND the specular out as different passes in the same render to different files. That way you get exact control on the specular... Though... I can see the point of using the threshold as you can adjust the size of your man made specular channel (layer).

Thanks for all your help... It's got me headed in the right direction...

user added image

Rob Starr
https://10secondclub.org