SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Lounges / Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge / Can ARNOLD render resolution free?

Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge Please post in this section ONLY if your question doesn't fit in anywhere else on the forum, or if you're not sure which section it's relevant to. We also have Free streaming trial available.

Join the conversation. Reply to post

13-01-2018, 07:23 AM   #1
Zeero

Can ARNOLD render resolution free?
I am new to Maya and rendering with Arnold so I have a basic question.

In Maya when we press 3 for smooth preview that action raises poly count of the selected object while in smooth mode for whatever was set as a subdivision number. (2 by default). So when I import 5k poly mesh, press 3 to smooth preview, I see in HUD that it goes up to 80 thousand polys. Which if I was to do the same thing for a lot of them would put huge strain on the system (as expected).

Now when rendering with Arnold (AIstandardSurface shader), if I select my 5K mesh and I go to Attribute Editor - Shape - Arnold - Subdivision and I set CatClark as a Type and 5 for Iterations (subdiv levels)..... in this scenario Maya's HUD still reports 5K mesh but the thing is super smooth (as expected). So...is this mean that Arnold can subdivide mesh for the rendering purposes completely freely and separately from number actual polys in the scene ?

Like you can render million polys and have actual 1000 polys in a scene ?

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m.png
Views:	29
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	57633  
14-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #2
David
SM Site Programmer

Yes basically Arnold will subdivide at render time so its independent. Be careful of going to high when you start to get to the 100s of millions off Poly's mark then ram is going to become a concern.