SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Lounges / Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge / Modeling and Opening An Envelope in Maya

Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge Please post in this section ONLY if your question doesn't fit in anywhere else on the forum, or if you're not sure which section it's relevant to. We also have Free streaming trial available.

Join the conversation. Reply to post

31-01-2018, 06:04 PM   #1
lilnyc
Subscriber

Modeling and Opening An Envelope in Maya
I need help with this. I assumed it would be simple and if not, thought I would easily find a tutorial online. Neither. All that I found was someone's perfect execution of what I am trying to do (but in C4D).

Here's their demo

If anyone can lead me to a tutorial or offer advice on re-creating this, I'd appreciate it.
01-02-2018, 09:41 AM   #2
toddster
Subscriber

Hello Lilnyc,
I would model the top flap separately and use a bend deformer (Deform_Nonlinear_Bend) to deal with the curve - you would need a few subdivisions in the mesh to make it bend smoothly. To abimate the flap simply set the pivot to the base of the flap and key the movement.
Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot_1.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	57643   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot_2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	57644  
03-02-2018, 06:36 AM   #3
Papa Mouse

Just a little animation.
I donít know how to do this in Maya, yet. (Thatís why Iím here for) But I sure know how to do it in Blender.

Just a little animation.

Thanks for the idea :-)
10-03-2018, 12:00 AM   #4
lilnyc
Subscriber

Quote:
Hello Lilnyc,
I would model the top flap separately and use a bend deformer (Deform_Nonlinear_Bend) to deal with the curve - you would need a few subdivisions in the mesh to make it bend smoothly. To abimate the flap simply set the pivot to the base of the flap and key the movement.
Hope this helps
Thanks, toddster,

I appreciate your response and demonstrations. People like you make these forums nice.

Unfortunately my issue was making an envelope that could hold paper. I ended up using a template. That project (that I bought) was completely made in After Effects using one texture layer that was made into multiple 3D layers.