SimplyMaya Forums

Welcome to the forum, feel free to ask questions here.

SM Forums / Maya Questions / Maya Modeling / Creating a cage with constant dimensions along poly edges

Maya Modeling Everything on Modeling Techniques and Tools - NURBS, Polygons and Subdivisions Related in this Section.

Join the conversation. Reply to post

09-09-2019, 03:53 AM   #1
rmufrancisco

Creating a cage with constant dimensions along poly edges
Hello!

I'm wondering if there is a way to conveniently make a cage around an existing polygon.

I have this ship that I'm texturing. It has separate tiling materials for certain faces. I want to make a sort of border that separates adjacent faces with different materials. The border needs to maintain a constant width and height as it follows the edge.

Previously, I've done it a couple of times before with the following:
  1. Snap cubes at the edge's vertices
  2. Use a Orient constraint to point cubes at the following one
  3. Extrude the faces until they overlap
  4. Use a Union boolean to merge them and then clean up excess and overlapping faces

As you can see, it's a pretty big pain in the butt to do this over and over again as well as dealing with more than a couple of intersections, and I was wondering if I was missing something fundamental.

I've attached some pictures to illustrate my intended result.

Any insight would be much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	4
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	57761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	4
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	57762