Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 13-02-2004 , 10:12 PM
Subscriber

help with bones

i am building a cannon type thing and i cant get the barrel to work right. this is what happens when i move it how can i get it to move with the joint and not get all screwey?

Thanks chris user added image

Attached Images
File Type: jpg asdf.jpg (53.2 KB, 164 views)

An idea is delicate.
It can be killed by a sneer or yawn,
It can be stabbed to death by a joke
Or worried to death by a frown
On the right persons brow.
-Charles Browers
# 2 13-02-2004 , 10:41 PM
The attachment doesn't seem to work. please upload it again... I wanna see user added image plus I don't really know why you would want to use a skeleton for the things I read you tried to do... a pic would really clear things up user added image

# 3 13-02-2004 , 10:54 PM
Subscriber
It wont let let me post the image again but i have the bone and i move it it will distort the top of the cannon and bend the top of it. If i can make it point without using bones then i wont have to worry about it

Chris

does anyone know where i can find a good rigging tutorial?

An idea is delicate.
It can be killed by a sneer or yawn,
It can be stabbed to death by a joke
Or worried to death by a frown
On the right persons brow.
-Charles Browers

Last edited by NNY Design; 14-02-2004 at 01:40 AM.
# 4 14-02-2004 , 08:27 PM
# 5 14-02-2004 , 09:04 PM
Post your scene, so we can take a look.

# 6 15-02-2004 , 12:49 AM
Subscriber
you do not normally use a skeleton with a cannon. Unless you made it one peace so that you need the skeleton to bend it at the pivots it sits on. I would say remake it in that case. if the Barrel is its own object you can very easy aim it. just move the transform point between its supports. You can do this buy hitting the insert key while you have the move tool in use for the barrel object. After you do that parent the barrel to the bass.

if your wanting to use the IK to aim it with you should use just the one joint parented to the base. And ridged bind it just to the barrel. How ever you might have a easier time using a aim constraint.

# 7 15-02-2004 , 10:55 AM
Woa pony, how can you type that all with hoofs? user added image