Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 01-03-2004 , 05:51 PM

Time to School

Yo guys, I'm coming to an end in my senior year of High School, and it's about time to register for college. I'm from the Seattle area and I'm looking for a school where I can push the boundarys of 3D modeling and animation, and I have decided, where better to come, than simply maya. I've seen everybodys work and I've been very impressed, so I'd just like to know where you guys would recomend going for school. As of now I wil either be going to Digipen in Redmond, which is located next to Nintendo(www.digipen.edu), or to the University of Advancing Technology(www.uat.edu). As you can tell, I don't care much if I have to travel, so just throw out any top school you can think of. Also if you have gone to school for modeling, please tell me which one, and how it treated youuser added image .

Cheers!

I Can't Understand What I'm Thinking
# 2 01-03-2004 , 06:39 PM

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 01-03-2004 , 11:47 PM
Wow, very impressive, I dunno if my parents are up for sending me outta the country but hey, worth a shot user added image

# 4 02-03-2004 , 03:57 AM
hey bojangles. have you looked at Art Institute of Seattle or Vancouver Film School? Just around the area.

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 5 02-03-2004 , 06:10 AM
You know, I took a good hard look at Art Institute and talked to several of their reps. I also looked at some of their student work. I honestly was not impressed, especially for the tuition fees, didn't impress me much. I havn't checked Vancouver however, I'll look it up in class tommorow, thanks a lot Orgeeizm!!

# 6 02-03-2004 , 06:49 AM
well best of luck Mr. Bojangles. i still have two years yo complete!hope to see you later!

# 7 02-03-2004 , 09:16 AM
np man. if anything, you have the SimplyMaya Academy over here. All the help you can get =) +Some ultra cool people who are nice enough to share their knowledge user added image

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 8 02-03-2004 , 03:24 PM
lol yes, this is true orgeeizm, and it's free tuition :-p

Thanks a lot Deepakrock! Where are you going to school these days?

# 9 03-03-2004 , 05:34 AM
Subscriber
I live in Ontario, Canada. Im thinking about going, either to Sheridan, or Seneca. They both seem to have great animation programs. Does anyone here know about these colleges?

# 10 03-03-2004 , 06:36 AM
nope, sorry, but I ended up checkin out Vancouvers site today, and, was frankly incredibly impressed. Check it out at www.vfs.com, just head to the 3d animation program gallery, I recommend "Toys" user added image

# 11 03-03-2004 , 10:08 AM
$26,000?! bloody hell! I wouldnt pay that much! go to bournemouth it's only £8000 ($12,000) and you will still get a masters and a job if you're lucky user added image

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 12 03-03-2004 , 11:36 AM
26k??... and i thought AIS (60k) was normal.. ah shit, all these schools just want our money.. i think i'm better off with some free tutorials, videos and a forum like SM.

# 13 03-03-2004 , 07:10 PM
ahah, yah, but I dont think my future employer will be THAT impressed with a SM Master......user added image

# 14 03-03-2004 , 08:29 PM
I would definately say a big not to this one. University of Advancing Technology(www.uat.edu). They have one here in phoenix. They do have the best facilities. They do not teach the art side of it, well not here in phoenix. I chose the Art institue of phoenix. They had the best rep.

www.vfs.com, that has some sweet work on it.

With any education you will get out what you put in. I would say 90% of the people in my animation program have no reason to be there. They are color blind, cannot draw and do not take the time to listen. I like the school because they do fail people like this. The people who do take the time but just do not have the talent do not get great grades. They get C's and B's. I feel I rightfully earn every A I get. That is a good feeling. At Collins it would piss me off because I would bust my butt and do a great project that I get an A on and then someone next to me with crap would also get an A because they followed directions and turned it in on time. This is Art, not kindergarden.

# 15 03-03-2004 , 09:07 PM
Thanks for the heads up Rick, I much 'preciate it. How much is your tuition for AIP? I looked into the Seattle one, but the stuff coming out of there is pure garbage. I'm really getting the feeling that I'm going to need to travel out of state to get this taken care of well. BTW, did you take some classes at UAT, or is this word? Either or, I trust ya, jw if you had to deal with it. Thanks a lot guys.