Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 26-04-2004 , 10:01 AM

Placing File Texture on one face of Poly, entirely.

Hey everyone.

Texturing's not really my strong suit and I just spent an hour on the trial-and-undo method but haven't quite figured it out yet. Hopefully someone can help me as this should be a simple and common issue.

So I have a Polygon sphere and I'd like to place an image onto one of the faces that make up the sphere. I don't want it stretched over the entire sphere, and I don't want it tiled over the whole thing either.

My problem is, when I apply my material to just an individual face, all I see is the portion of the image that would be displayed there if that image were in fact mapped to the entire sphere. Good that it's only on the face I want, bad that it's not showing the entire image on that face.

I've been playing with create texture, file, as projection, etc. but still don't have it right. Ideally, I hope the solution is repeatable for other faces on the sphere as my my final goal is to put a different image on each face.

Hopefully I've explained this thoroughly enough. Please ask if any clarification would help.

Thanks for viewing, any help would be great!

# 2 26-04-2004 , 10:10 AM
Subscriber
how many faces are you going to want to do this with ? and your not going to want a bump map right ?

also, it probably would be easyer to just normaly texture the sphere. and stich togather the difrent pic's in photoshop. Normaly there would be nothing that says, Hay I didn't get this right over the face. anyway.

# 3 26-04-2004 , 02:57 PM
select the face and then apply a planar projection to that one face. Then apply yoru shader with the texture to that one face not the whole sphere. That will do it.

But if you only texture one face it will probably look crap. What Ponmy said makes sense. Create a texture that will cover the whole sphere and then paint the piece of information that you want in the right place. But then I dont know what you want to achieve so....

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 4 26-04-2004 , 04:50 PM
You could always extract that single face and texture as 2 objects.
user added image

# 5 26-04-2004 , 05:29 PM
why? what I've said above will work, making two objects would just confuse the scene and make thing much harder to work with (you wont be able to smooth etc).

Select the face and map it....

user added image

IMDB
# 6 26-04-2004 , 07:50 PM
Thanks guys

Pure_Morning - That's exactly what I've been trying to do, but I must be doing something wrong that results in not the entire image being displayed on the face.
Could you be more specific, elaborate on that process for me?

Dr.Robotnik - I believe I have tried what you suggested and still unfortunately had the same results. I broke the sphere apart (forget exactly what the command was called, something in the Edit Polygons menu) so that it was a bunch of separated individual Poly Planes. And STILL only a portion of the image was shown on any face, not the whole picture.

Perhaps I am selecting my faces incorrectly?

Thanks again, and I'll keep trying stuff.

-Brian

# 7 26-04-2004 , 10:10 PM
Select that face. hold right click and go to AssignNewMaterial> Lambert. Now do like you normally would to attach your picture to that lambert. The part you need is this: with that face selected, go to Edit Polygons>Texture>Planar Mapping. This will put a map of that image flat on your face. You shouldnt have to, but you may need to move that around a bit until it's on just perfect. Hope that made sense.

# 8 27-04-2004 , 08:20 AM
that's what I said, you will need to go to the options box of the project planar map and make sure that "fit to best plane" is turned on.

That's it

Alan

IMDB
# 9 27-04-2004 , 09:54 AM
Perfect.

...and the "fit to best plane" does it for me so I don't even have to tweak the placement.

Thanks a ton friends, much appreciated.

# 10 27-04-2004 , 10:10 AM
I still think you need to investigate this properly and understand mapping a model properly, you will very rarely have to apply a texture to just one face of a model.

Glad we could help though

Alan

IMDB