Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 24-07-2004 , 12:58 AM
Subscriber

putting strings into expressions?

I'm currently playing with some MEL-scripting, but there is something I just can't figure out..

Is there a way to insert an "arglist" after a "curve" command?

For instance: "curve $arglist;" where $arglist is a string containing as an example "-p 1 0 0 -p 1 1 0 -p 2 1 0 -p 1 1 1"

The $arglist string is created dynamically in the script, one "-p x y z" sequence at the time.

I think I could calculate the first four points and then execute "curve -p $x1 $y1 $z1 -p ......." and then use the "-a" flag to append points to the curve, but it's not very neat, and I haven't tried it yet. Not sure if it would work anyway...

[Edit]
By the way... I've tested the arglist by using the "print ($arglist);" command and then copying the result and paste it after a "curve" command in the command line.
[/Edit]

-DX-

Last edited by DukerX; 24-07-2004 at 01:04 AM.
# 2 24-07-2004 , 01:29 AM
You'll need to use an eval command to combine multiple strings into a command like this:

Code:
$points = "-p 1 0 0 -p 1 1 0 -p 2 1 0 -p 1 1 1";
eval("curve " + $points);

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 3 24-07-2004 , 01:39 AM
Subscriber
Yeeha!
Thanks alot man. It works!
(I'm using the script to create spirals..)

-DX-