Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 20-10-2002 , 08:44 PM

Creature walk test

Creature walk test...

# 2 20-10-2002 , 10:22 PM
SM Alumni
Thats really really nice! great weight and character (though for something so scary looking I'd imagine him to look a lot less unsure about himself) but i guess its just a test. What plans have you got for him? any story or just somthing to practise animating with?

# 3 21-10-2002 , 03:42 AM
yeah man. right on. i like the jiggle effect in the left toe as it slames into the floor. wow. very sweet.

# 4 21-10-2002 , 07:31 AM
Very nice. Maybe his back looks a bit too stiff. Or maybe that was the intention?

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 5 21-10-2002 , 03:24 PM

Mime flip

Just another motion test.

# 6 21-10-2002 , 09:42 PM
SM Alumni
not bad.. not sure if the camera movement is helping. also when he lands his body is a little stiff. perhaps move the bodys pivot point a little further back and lower down when he's about to land - doesnt seem weighty enough, though its a bloody hard thing to animate and get looking good anyway.

# 7 22-10-2002 , 12:47 AM
little more weight in the landing.

# 8 22-10-2002 , 04:24 AM
The Maya Mountain
You seem to have some sort of funky lookin twisting happening around the ankle of the right foot when he lands, but I'm just nit-picking. user added image I think it looks good so far. user added image

# 9 22-10-2002 , 07:22 AM
Looking very realistic. I especially like the mime-jump avi user added image Very good dynamics...

Hope you make a "How did I do it" user added image

Regards
Kitoc

# 10 22-10-2002 , 03:37 PM
Kitoc, theres no dynamics, its all key framed even the hat. All forward kinamatics on the Mime. The beast is a combo. Root and up is forward kinamatics, and legs are inverse.

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 11 22-10-2002 , 03:45 PM
I like the mime jump except one thing. The anticipation of the jump looks a bit like someone is pulling him with wires or something user added image. No offence...meesa likey user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 12 22-10-2002 , 09:14 PM
Hehe. Ok I used a wrong word (dynamic). What I meant was it looks very realistic user added image

Are you using rigid body with flexors?

--Kitoc

# 13 22-10-2002 , 10:34 PM
Kitoc, yeah that mime charcter is a Sub-d and was a rigid bind.=) still can play with the weights on CV. I mainly us him for motion tests and messing around.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 14 07-11-2002 , 08:30 AM
The flipping mime is good!

My only two suggestions would be:

1. Currently his 'preparation arms swing' goes further back than when he actually jumps, whereas I would have thought it would be the other way around.

2. I think he needs to arch his back a lot more, he seems to bend slightly but mostly looks really straight and tall during the flip.

# 15 07-11-2002 , 09:27 AM

Good start ...

It's not looking too bad ... but it gives me the feeling the creature may be walking through treacle or, maybe a river and going up stream. If this is your intention then you've nearly achieved it.
Nice one. Check this out on my site, I did it last year as an experiment, it's a similar sized creature, I'm not suggesting this is perfect of even better, just thought you guys might like to see it ... also feel free to crit ... as long as it's constructive ... user added image

https://www.thegraphicsengine.com/animations/bernard.avi

there are other anims onm my site

www.thegraphicsengine.com

Cheers chaps. :p

BTW it's DiVx ...