Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 23-06-2005 , 10:56 PM

Dual Glitches.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...jo/wtfMaya.jpg

Firstly -- the left wheel is black, no matter how I look at it. It was fine RIGHT up until I combined all the Created Polygons into a single object.Seems like every model I make at least one part of it turns out solid black no matter which way its pointed or how much light's around it.

Should note: Normals have been checked and its default lambert so its not oddly mapped UVs.

Secondly -- the Axel was created using "create polygon" using Vertexes of a rediculously high poly cylinder. -- I tried then selecting the faces and typing "polySoftEdge -a 180" to smooth it out -- it didn't. Seems like polySoftEdge only works to correct smoothing errors from Rhino import.

Last edited by Phopojijo; 23-06-2005 at 11:05 PM.
# 2 24-06-2005 , 02:10 AM
Subscriber
go to edit poly>set normals to faces,
then soften/harden normals again.
but double check if the normals are all pointing in the same outward direction.

# 3 24-06-2005 , 04:36 AM
Thanks -- though I'm wondering if its possible to create softedges on "create polygon" tool'd objects. I've created a perfect cylinder (had two hemispheres side by side -- so I created polygons inbetween the two open sides' vertexes. I then combined the polygons -- then clicked (as suggested) set to face, then typed "polySoftEdge -a 180" and not a thing changed.

Maybe someone should go into a small smoothing tutorial? :b Sorry -- I'm only now getting worried about polycount -- I used to just let Rhino make the smoothing groups as I converted from Nurbs -- then that was how it ended up... now I obviously can't do that if its going in an Unreal Warfare game.

That -- or I should just stick to Bink'd cutscenes and Unrealscript :b

Edit: Never mind -- got it -- Average Normals.

Last edited by Phopojijo; 24-06-2005 at 05:35 AM.
# 4 24-06-2005 , 06:52 AM
Subscriber
Does it work from the menu? May be syntax error.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."