Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 18-08-2005 , 05:57 PM

Absolute neophyte!

I'm needing help in figuring out how to render imated logo I created as an SWF file. each time I attempt to output it using the maya vector selecting the SWF and name.ext (multi frame) it out puts separate files of each frame - generally in the format that was previously selected in Maya software (whether JPEG or IFF etc.)

Can anyone hlep point me in the right direction? I am self taught in maya (only 3 weeks old - so to speak) and am under a deadline

Any and all assistance is appreciated.

:headbang:

# 2 19-08-2005 , 07:07 AM
Subscriber
Assuming you have Flash, do the following:

1) In Maya, render out as Targa. I imagine other file formats like .IFF work, but I have only tested with Targa files.

2) Download Virtual Dub (Google for it, it's free).

3) Open the first frame of your animation in Virtual Dub, and it will open the entire animation.

4) Save out as an AVI.

5) Import into Flash and save out as an SWF file.

Hope that helps.

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. --Thomas A. Edison
# 3 21-08-2005 , 06:25 PM
I think he's hoping to have the 3d model show up in vector mode, not as a movie stored in a flash animation. Not sure if Maya automate what people like homestarrunner does by hand though.

You got to admit that would be fun to see though.

# 4 26-08-2005 , 06:30 PM

Originally posted by Drought
Assuming you have Flash, do the following:

1) In Maya, render out as Targa. I imagine other file formats like .IFF work, but I have only tested with Targa files.

2) Download Virtual Dub (Google for it, it's free).

3) Open the first frame of your animation in Virtual Dub, and it will open the entire animation.

4) Save out as an AVI.

5) Import into Flash and save out as an SWF file.

Hope that helps.

Can't seem to get that to work, Drought V Dub only wants to open an actual movie. . . It doesn't allow me to open a sing frame Targa file still trying though user added image

# 5 26-08-2005 , 07:11 PM
Subscriber
Hi there.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I may be able to help.

What error are you getting?

Am I correct in assuming you have multiple targa files in your images folder after you rendered?

Are your files numbered sequentially? Also, I have my frame padding set to 3 so that it numbers my files 001, 002, 003, etc.

Drought

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. --Thomas A. Edison
# 6 26-08-2005 , 07:15 PM
the error I get when I try to open the first of the Targa files is: "cannot detect file type of "file name.tga.1"

# 7 27-08-2005 , 09:46 AM
Subscriber
Your image naming format might be the problem; i.e. virtual dub might not recognize that as a targa file.

First, try just renaming the files to your_filename#.tga.

If that doesn't work, try changing your image file output settings in render globals to "name#.ext" and re-render. Also, don't forget the frame padding.

Good luck. Again, I'm not an expert. I have only played with this a little bit, but I hope that helps.

Drought