Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 26-08-2005 , 05:32 PM

Export as MDL

Hello,

I am currently learning Maya and Hammer (the map editor included with the Source -- Half Life 2 engine -- SDK). From my research, it appears that Hammer only supports MDL files. I found an SMD plug-in, but I am not sure what that format is actually for.

I have searched Google (for "maya export mdl"), the official Source SDK wiki, the hl2world wiki, this forum, asked on a Counter Strike: Source mapping website, and searched the official (included) Maya documents.

Can anyone tell me how I can export as MDL? It has become apparent that I will need a plugin or converter. On this forum I only found two topics mentioning "mdl". The only relevant one was this topic, except the links to the converter are no longer valid and I don't believe it supports Maya 7 anyway.

Any suggestions? Thanks,

Michael

# 2 26-08-2005 , 06:47 PM
Apparently, I need to compile the SMD files using Half Life 2's studiomdl.exe to get the MDL file, so it really isn't in Maya's hands anymore.

So, in other words, I don't need a response here. Cheers!