Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 27-10-2002 , 02:15 PM

tidious uv's

I have a problem with getting a checker map to map evenly across a surface. The surface were one a nurbs sphere, I tweaked and cut it up, rebuildt the surfaces. put back together again. Converted it to polygons, then applied a spherical mapping to it. Now my UV map looks almost like when you map a basic sphere with spherical mapping. But when I assign a checker map to it. I can see where the shape once was cut up, because the checker strecthes in those places.

Any ideas why this happens ?

/ ctrl-z
# 2 27-10-2002 , 02:30 PM
If you can get a picture up, it will help us all out to see what is going wrong. What is the objects shape? From the sounds of it you might have to delete the old uv map, and make and try a sphereical map again, or try what i do. Automactic map and move and sewall the CV's

We will be able to help out more once you get a picture up.

Kurt

# 3 27-10-2002 , 04:04 PM
unfortunately i dont have web space atm where I can store images (this is needed for displaying images - right ?).

** e d i t **
- nope just hit the attach button
** e d i t / e n d **

the shape is basically just a sphere (a sphere with craters, so it looks more like a planet)

I did delete the UV map, and applied a new shperical map to it, but result is just the same... user added image

I will try with auto mapping

/ ctrl-z

Last edited by undo; 28-10-2002 at 01:31 AM.
# 4 27-10-2002 , 04:38 PM
Try this:

1. Duplicate the planet thingy
2. Apply average vertices to the copy enough times so there's no overlapping anymore.
3. Apply spherical mapping to the copy
4. Tranfer the UVs to the original model

Hope that helps...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 5 27-10-2002 , 04:53 PM
kbrown, I just tried that, but it didnt help. I applied average vertices 5 times with 20 iterations (is that enough times ?)

/ ctrl-z
# 6 27-10-2002 , 08:05 PM
Well, I'm not sure what your problem is exactly but in most cases, when you're dealing with more complex objects than primitives, you propably have to tweak the UVs by hand. The way I explained should give you a good starting point...

Can you post an image of your model and a screenshot of the UV editor?

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 7 28-10-2002 , 01:25 AM
hmm I got I to work now, but after I made a new model, and applied a cylinder map instead. For some reason I couldn't get a sperical map to work..

/ ctrl-z

Last edited by undo; 07-11-2002 at 06:55 PM.