Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 30-08-2005 , 04:40 PM
Subscriber

Heads up Display goes bye bye

The message icons needs a WTF to go with the smiley faces.

So, I've read another post in this forum about "magic key combinations" that totally hoses up you \\My Documents\Maya\ folder. I cannot for the life of me figure out what causes it, but I :headbang: every time because I have a ton of customized key mappings and shelves, and sometimes dropping in backed up preference folder don't even work.

The most apparent symptom is that I lose my HUD. On both sides. Unchecking and rechecking doesn't work, starting a new file doesn't work, etc. The only thing that fixes it is deleting the MyDocs\Maya folder. I've tried to track down which changes have taken place by comparing my userprefs.mel with the one that's automatically created when I start Maya up, but that's beyond a needle in a haystack. I also lose custom key mappings, but not as often as the HUD loss.

This is really farkin aggravating and there's no reason I shouldn't be able to configure Maya the way I want to use it without fear of having to take a loss on a day or two figuring out the problem.

Do they speak English in What?
# 2 09-09-2005 , 05:31 AM
My immediate guess is that you're copying the wrong prefs folder. Maya has this weird thing that it installs its folders and system files to more than one location. If you grab the wrong one things will tend not to go your way.

Delete the Maya prefs folder by going to C:\Documents and Settings\**UserName**\My Documents\maya\**version #**\prefs - and delete everything inside that folder.

Then restart Maya so that it resets everything to default.

Redo your key bindings and layout then close Maya.

Go back to that same folder and make a copy of it and put it somewhere where you can find it later if need be. When you restart Maya everything should be the way you left it.

Remember that if you make any further changes you need to copy that folder again.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu