Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 27-10-2005 , 04:52 PM
Subscriber

Do i need animation

Hi everyone.

I would like to work in a studio as a modeler, and im not really into animation at all.
So i was wondering, when i create my show reel, do i need animation in it if modeling is all i want to do. Im happy to work on lighting and texturing as well, but just not animation.
Are Studios always looking for animation in show reels, or can i create a show reel that just has stills.

Thanks in advanced

Nick

There's nothing normal about normals. In FACT i think the are abnormal.
# 2 27-10-2005 , 10:23 PM

Re: Do i need animation

Originally posted by antiant
Hi everyone.

I would like to work in a studio as a modeler, and im not really into animation at all.
So i was wondering, when i create my show reel, do i need animation in it if modeling is all i want to do. Im happy to work on lighting and texturing as well, but just not animation.
Are Studios always looking for animation in show reels, or can i create a show reel that just has stills.

Thanks in advanced

Nick

Only put animation in your reel if your applying for an animators position. Otherwise when then they see animation, they might think it's a animators reel. With that said, it might be good to show your models in animated form but i'll leave the more experienced to add to that.

With regards to whether you should know animation, most big studios keep you working on your specific job but smaller studios may get you to multi task, say modelling, rigging, animating, texturing and lighting. I believe this may also happen a lot in the games industry although i'm not to sure.

It certainly would help to know about animation. You should also take into account the rigging and texturing process because that might effect how you model. So at least an understanding the process involved will help.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 3 28-10-2005 , 01:05 AM
Subscriber
hi doodle,

Thanks for your reply user added image
I think i can cover most things, including the riggin, but i just dont seem to have the nack of animating, and its not from lack of trying.
This clears alot up for me. Thanks heaps.
Have a great day.

There's nothing normal about normals. In FACT i think the are abnormal.
# 4 28-10-2005 , 01:10 AM

Originally posted by antiant
hi doodle,

Thanks for your reply user added image
I think i can cover most things, including the riggin, but i just dont seem to have the nack of animating, and its not from lack of trying.
This clears alot up for me. Thanks heaps.
Have a great day.

Yeah, animation is tough.

The key is timing and observation. Learning the technical stuff to doing it is easier than learning the animation itself. Animation is more than laying down a few keys.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 5 28-10-2005 , 01:43 PM
if you're not an animator don't put animation on your reel. show only what you're good at. If you are a modeller you wil be hired as a modeller forget about animation.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB