Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 09-12-2005 , 12:27 PM
Subscriber

HMS Victory texturing

I have come to that stage where I have to texture my model of the HMS Victory and am having a few problems with it.

I have some good photos from the ship but in order to get them to fit my UV map I have to scale them down quite a bit. Once I have done that all the lovely detail has gone and all you see it just blocks of murky colour. I have also tried to scale my UV map up but by the time I get it big enough it is too big to manage and I am convinced there must be a better way.

I have also had a look at the maya's own textureing system but either it can't be done or I don't have the skill at this stage to be able to do it (i think the latter might be true)

I have also searched on the Internet for some decent pictures but none of them seem right and I also get the same problem as I do with my reference photo's

How you people out here go about solving this problem. I have posted a picture of the actual hull of the HMS Victory.

P.S. The picture I have posted here is 800 x 600, the normal size is 2272 x 1704. So you can see why I am so egar to make use of this picture because of the level of detial it could give me.

Attached Thumbnails

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 2 09-12-2005 , 01:59 PM
Subscriber
just make your texture map size bigger...

so if that pic u posted is 2272*1704,

have a 6k texture map or 4k map, thats more than enough space to fit your textues.

# 3 09-12-2005 , 02:20 PM
Having huge textures in the scene can cause problems at rendering time unless you convert them to .map files (with imf_copy) and render with mental ray. Still it might be a good idea to cut the model in smaller pieces and texture them separately. Also there are several rendering and texture filtering settings that you might want to tweak.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 4 10-12-2005 , 03:20 PM
Subscriber
I like the sound of vladimirjp's idea but im not too sure how to increase my texture size. Is it something you do in Maya, my help isn't working for some reason.

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 5 10-12-2005 , 04:32 PM
Subscriber
I think what Vlad means is just paint your texture maps in Photoshop/whatever at 2k or 4k. When you bring in your UV map into your paint program, just resize it to 4k or something.

LisaG

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 6 10-12-2005 , 09:46 PM
Subscriber
yes. u can resize your uv map to any size you want in photoshop and paint, since its not the uvs that will be mapped, u r just using it as a ref to texture. KB's idea is good too.

# 7 11-12-2005 , 10:42 AM
Subscriber
Will I tried cutting to model and that got to hard for me to manage. So I tried re-sizing the textures map. When I take the screen shot and put it in photoshop I resize it from 800 something to 4800 something. I do a little bit as a test and bring it back to Maya and apply it to my object I get the same image repeated over and over again.

As you can see I am quite a novice when it comes to textureing so you patience is appreciated

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 8 11-12-2005 , 02:29 PM
Subscriber
I have solved the last problem and another has sprung up. I have made the texture image biuggere and that seamed to work but I think I may have made it too big for Maya now as I get an error message when every I try to assign my shader to my object.

So I have downloaded the imf_copy that KB was talking about but I am not sure what to do with the .mel file.

user added image

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 9 11-12-2005 , 08:55 PM
Subscriber
the imf_copy dhould also be in your maya bin instalation directory.
but here is a better version. with a gui.
this utility convert images to .map [memory mapped] format which is more manageable for rendering with MR
https://highend3d.com/maya/downloads/...misc/3003.html

very simple to use. run script, just select the file u want to convert to .map and click convert.

Last edited by vladimirjp; 11-12-2005 at 09:01 PM.
# 10 12-12-2005 , 10:02 AM
Subscriber
Cool, I will try that.

I hope this thread won't be a long as my actual WIP thread. user added image

While I have your precious attention there is one other think I feel I have to clear up if I am going to make a good job of this model. Rope, there is loads of the stuff but for some reason I having trouble with it.

All my rope is made with simple poly cylinders and when I was making it I thought, this is going to be easy. Most of it is rope. Boy was I wrong. I have images of actual Victory rope (oooh) but I find it hard to make a texture out of it. I cut it out and make it tillable but I keep on getting distortions, what's more than that is it looks rather naff. It looks like just what it is, a cylinder with a picture posted on it I guess a good bump map would fix that ... I guess.

But there also always seams to be ... well .... a seam. I visible side where you can see a mirroring of the texture.

You see, what I have done is laid the the UV map of the cylinder out flat and just put it over the picture of rope. I guess if I do that right that would be ok for rope that wraps around a mast or something like that where you won't see all the sides but not for the rigging.

The reason I am asking is that I want to make sure I am doing this the best possible way and not to struggle half way through and find out later on. It's just that I have seen 3D rope and it does look pretty sweet, I just can't imagine mine getting to that standard the way I am doing it.

Cheers for you time, I know I rabble on a bit. You'll make a pro out of me yet :attn:

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 11 12-12-2005 , 03:28 PM
Subscriber
iirc maya 7 has some rope-making feature.

u can create intertwine* curves and extrude cylinders along it.
and dont worry about seams, simpy carfully clonning your textures in PS or inside of maya sould get rid of them.

# 12 12-12-2005 , 03:33 PM
Subscriber
I only have Maya 6 im afriad, I see what you mean about having the interwineing curves thing. I only have stright, flat cylinders as my rope. I was sort of hopeing that a texture could do the rest and make it look like actual rope rather then me having to re-modell all of it. If that is what is needed then I will of course have to do that but that certainly would ruin my day user added image

I have played around with ramp shders but nope of the ones I have downloaded or done myself cut's the mustard (if you know what I mean).

Every onwards thought.

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 13 16-12-2005 , 11:50 PM

Originally posted by Tim_LIVID
Cool, I will try that.

I hope this thread won't be a long as my actual WIP thread. user added image

While I have your precious attention there is one other think I feel I have to clear up if I am going to make a good job of this model. Rope, there is loads of the stuff but for some reason I having trouble with it.

All my rope is made with simple poly cylinders and when I was making it I thought, this is going to be easy. Most of it is rope. Boy was I wrong. I have images of actual Victory rope (oooh) but I find it hard to make a texture out of it. I cut it out and make it tillable but I keep on getting distortions, what's more than that is it looks rather naff. It looks like just what it is, a cylinder with a picture posted on it I guess a good bump map would fix that ... I guess.

But there also always seams to be ... well .... a seam. I visible side where you can see a mirroring of the texture.

You see, what I have done is laid the the UV map of the cylinder out flat and just put it over the picture of rope. I guess if I do that right that would be ok for rope that wraps around a mast or something like that where you won't see all the sides but not for the rigging.

The reason I am asking is that I want to make sure I am doing this the best possible way and not to struggle half way through and find out later on. It's just that I have seen 3D rope and it does look pretty sweet, I just can't imagine mine getting to that standard the way I am doing it.

Cheers for you time, I know I rabble on a bit. You'll make a pro out of me yet :attn:

many ways to do this sort of thing.
tty on msn ıcq

maya works