Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 05-01-2006 , 06:58 PM
Subscriber

BlendShapes for rigging

hi

I've never could figure out how to use blendshapes instead of influence objects. can anyone plz maybe fill me in on how it works? thx!!

Maya 4 ever baby!
# 2 06-01-2006 , 06:38 PM
Blendshapes, blendshapes. Something only a programmer could love.

Create the base shape object... whatever head or whatever. Click create blendshape. There is a window under animation editors that is the blendshape editor. Now, click create blendshape, model the blendshape, and click create again, model the next... whatever. Now you have to name the additional blendshapes. Then those things will influence the origional object.

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 3 06-01-2006 , 07:28 PM
Subscriber
thx, but apperently you misunderstood the question.
The question was, how to use blendshapes to give a better deformation to a rigged body.

Sometimes you get crap deformations when you bend a leg or something, and I know one can use blendshapes to correct those. rings any bell?

Maya 4 ever baby!
# 4 06-01-2006 , 08:31 PM
No, you cant. u dont use blendshapes like that. For a leg, you go into paint skin weights to solve it. And you paint until you like your deformations.

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 5 06-01-2006 , 09:46 PM
Subscriber
In Michael Mckinley's rigging tutorial he explains that he used blendshapes for getting better deformations, sadly he never finished the tutorial 100%, so he dosn't explain how.

also did a search on it, and found this tut:

https://www.androidblues.com/rigtut.html

so I believe one CAN use blendshapes to control joint deformations...IN YOUR FACE! hehe, sry just joking. :p

Maya 4 ever baby!

Last edited by masn45; 06-01-2006 at 09:49 PM.