Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 23-02-2006 , 09:41 AM

3 sides and 5 sides why?

First, I' m newbies and I would like to know about the modeling concept in some point. Can you explain about why we must avoid to make the model by using 3 sides or 5 sides polys as possible as we can , and it must only be 4 sides, what 's effect to the model if we has 3 sides or 5 sides in our model and in what's point ?

thanks for all.

# 2 23-02-2006 , 04:43 PM
you dont need to have only 4 sided polys, normally you have 3 and 4 sided polys(unless you are really good) but 4 sided polys normally give you a better result

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 23-02-2006 , 08:50 PM
People say you need quads (four-sideds) nearly exclusively because they feel that it shades better. In reality though -- all that really matters is the shape and form of the object.

# 4 23-02-2006 , 09:28 PM
when you smooth a 3 sided polygon, it deforms oddly and usually unexpectedly and unwantedly.

try to avoid them as best you can... its not that hard...

5 sided is really bad because they deform like 3 3-sided polys in one... and thats bad

3 is ok... not great
4 is good
5 is bad
n-sided is a definite no-no

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 5 23-02-2006 , 10:22 PM
Subscriber
the right way is 4 sided like in all jobs theres ways of doing things easy and doin it not as good but gets the job done. but if u want to be good at your job or hobbie then do it the right way..........4 sided.

# 6 24-02-2006 , 03:36 AM
Is there any way to clean up the 3 and 5 sides quickly? Like I see theres a cleanup function, but I cant get it to work. Does it do something like that?

# 7 24-02-2006 , 03:42 AM
Subscriber
use whatever works.
theres nothing wrong with ngons or tris.
and no, if u want to clean them u need to split poly or remove edges.
maya automatically turns tris into quad and ngons into quads when it smooths [or does it best to...]