Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 04-03-2006 , 12:25 AM

cartoon dog question

I just went through the tutorial of the cartoon dog. I would like to know what the advantages are to starting out in nurbs as opposed to just building it in polys and converting it to subDs later if it needed a smoother look. I mean it seems as though modeling through nurbs initially might be faster...but you can do the same thing with just polys and there's no need to go through all that boolean action.

# 2 05-04-2006 , 01:17 PM
I would really like someone to answer your question. I am doing the tree frog tutorial and have been puzzling this myself. Doing a convert etc seems to add so much work ... is there really that much gain. The tutorial I am doing is also written by Kurt Boutilier ... seems to be the way he does them all.

# 3 05-04-2006 , 02:41 PM
The Maya Mountain
it's just the method Kurt prefers. I know that I personally dont start with Nurbs first and just start with polys, but both methods are valid.

# 4 05-04-2006 , 04:56 PM
I just fine that nurs help get the correct size and shape i need faster in the long run then starting off with polys. As Mike said both ways work comes down to the individual artist.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb