Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 05-06-2006 , 12:20 PM

lighting sfx help please!!

Hi ive been asked to produce some amazing lighting effects in maya and was wondering whether anyone could help me...im trying to produce wicked light trails, coloured smoke, strobe type effects, flashing colors, explosions of light and color, lasers and all types of pscyodelic imagery, i know these can all be done but struggling to get the effects i want, please any help at all would be great thanx

# 2 06-06-2006 , 11:18 AM
emmm that's a bit vague. Look at the particle help in the docs. And fluids if you have it could produce some pretty stuff.

Your asking far too vague a question to get any sort of helpful answers. user added image

A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 08-06-2006 , 03:34 PM
sorry yeh...well the main effect im after is a light trail as if your waving a sparkler around. any ideas?

# 4 13-06-2006 , 07:44 AM
19 year Veteran
Light trails like a sparkler would involve a particle system. There are free video tutorials at digital tutors.com on the basics of a particle system. Making the particles glow however is a different story. Your maya docs will tell you what you can do with your particle systems.

# 5 26-06-2006 , 07:20 AM
I know that its relatively simple to get anything (including most particle systems and shaders) to glow. You do have to watch out for the fact that maya doesn't seem to make glows reflect. Or is there a way around this?

Book Wise

https://X4nd5r.deviantart.com
# 6 26-06-2006 , 11:51 PM
19 year Veteran
Have tried your project in Mental Ray. Maya's software renderer is limited. Mental Ray has more ability.

# 7 02-06-2011 , 08:19 PM

Light trail

Light trails like a sparkler would involve a particle system. There are free video tutorials at digital tutors.com on the basics of a particle system. Making the particles glow however is a different story. Your maya docs will tell you what you can do with your particle systems.

There's a tool I've built for generating cigarette smoke in maya but it is also useful for the light trail effect you describe. You can check it out here

I have put it up as a commercial asset but if you'd like to try a free version you can contact me at forrest.brent@gmail.com

cheers

B